Engine Rebuild - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Engine Rebuild

Man, sure has been a while since I have posted here. I am looking at finding a project Jeep engine to rebuild, My first. I was wondering when rebuilding a 4.0 what parts need to be machined if you are going to just plain ole Jeep 4.0. Also how much more would it cost for me to stroke this motor and would this be to much work for someone who has not rebuilt an engine before? Basically I need a complete list of what I would need to do a rebuild and a list of what parts need to be machined to have the job done right. Thanks for you advice guys.

97 TJ SPORT...2" SKYJACKER LIFT KIT, 30X9.50X15 BFG ALL TERRAINS, BLACK STEELIES, SAIL CLOTH SOFT TOP, SONY MARINE GRADE BOAT STEREO.

97 CHEROKEE SPORT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 AM

What needs to be machined depends entirely on the condition of the engine. The only definite is that the cylinders will need to be honed. That's necessary to get new rings to seat and seal properly. Almost certain is that the ridge above the top of the ring travel will need to be reamed. After that there's no way to know what needs to be done until checks and measurements are done, which requires disassembly. To be done properly that requires micrometers, bore gauges, straight edges and more. An automotive machine shop will have the necessary equipment.

You can rebuild an engine without all that, and it may run fine for years, or it may not run well or far at all. If you want a reasonable guarantee that the results are worth your time and effort, take the engine apart, clean the pieces thoroughly, and take them to a good shop for evaluation. If they give you a list of things they're going to do without looking at the parts, find another shop. A good shop will tell you how much each part deviates from perfect and what the factory's tolerance is. Then you can decide what needs to be done. But expect to buy a couple of hours labor for that service.

If you just want to build an engine, why not start with a lawnmower or motorcycle engine? The basic procedures are the same, but the parts are cheaper and easier to work with. Get a book on the subject and read it carefully.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode