ATTN: People interested in Silver Lake Sand Dunes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

ATTN: People interested in Silver Lake Sand Dunes

http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//...collapsed&sb=5
The previous link I typed was a link to the thread I started on the GM Standard forum about the Voucher system that the Michigan Department of Natural Resources is imposing on users of the Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Oceana County, Michigan.

I know that some of you Jeepers like jeepin' on the sand dunes there, and I was wondering how you feel about the voucher rule. The voucher rule, and questions and answers about it are available at the following link: http://www.oceana.net/silverlake/voucher.html.
I don't like the rule since they seem to be drastically limiting the number of people who can use the sand dunes, and limiting when you can go on. I want to see it turned back to the old way where we just form a line and get in that way. At least that way you and your wheelin' buddies can be assured of being on the dunes at about the same time, unlike with vouchers, you have to use the dunes when that stupid piece of paper tells you and if your buddies get a different time, then you're not going to be able to have their entertaining company.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and please let me know what your opinions of this are. Specificially I'm trying to find out if there's enough interest in the demise of the voucher system to try and get a large letter writing campaign started, to try and put an end to the vouchers. Thank you again for your time... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Tim

http://www.off-road.com/land/ecojunk.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 11:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ATTN: People interested in Silver Lake Sand Dunes

When I first heard about the voucher system I hated it, But Over the memorial day weekend it work GREAT. Our group elected one person to go up a day early and obtain the vouchers for all of us for the weekend, we got the 9:00 am slot and waited no more that 30 minutes before hitting the sand. That compared to the 5 hour wait last year is a vast improvement. I know that the weather this year kepp a lot of people away, and the first time under a new system always sucks, but it was nice not to have to wait so long. We must remember that it was the actions of some 4 wheelers that caused this to happen, if people would show some respect for the people who live "On the line" road while they are out camping the night before this may have been avoided. The stories of people, shall we say making love in the truck durring the night while they are in front of someones house are true, and If I lived there I would be mad as hell too. I love the dunes and go there often, but we must remember that we are guests oin that town and we should respect the people who call it home.

You asked for my 2 cents, and as usual I gave a dollar....

94 Wrangler w/4.3 CPI Vortec
www.geocities.com/chevyjeep1
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] That's probably the first positive thing I've heard about the vouchers so far, but I haven't had a ton of comments... I had some people tell me some problems they had with it before (the not planning ahead enough to go the previous day and pickup some vouchers from the same time being the big thing).

Good point about the homeowners getting upset, I never actually realized that problems like that were going on... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Glad to hear any and all opinions on this... I think my opinion of the vouchers is starting to sway in the other direction already... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Did you even hear about when the DNR was going over the proposal for it? I would think that with public land like that, a few public opinion/comment meetings would be in order, and with all the land use lists I'm on, I'd be very surprised if something like that could slip past... I guess that's part of what I don't like about the voucher rule, just that I hadn't heard of a public comment period so we could make sure it's really doing what it should for everyone, to keep everyone happy... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] The MDNR website doesn't even mention Silver Lake or the voucher system at all for some reason...

Tim

http://www.off-road.com/land/ecojunk.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 12:24 PM
SPRUCE

I am not a big fan of the new voucher. Although, it worked well for us on Memorial day weekend sense we only went for the dune ready vouchers. The thing that sucked was making my friend drive up early Friday afternoon to get the vouchers, so we would not have to sit around with our thumbs stuck up our a$$ waiting for the "time slot" in which we would be allowed to enter. I left my dirt bike back at home because we did not figure on getting a parking lot voucher. Right now the only reason that I am keeping the dirt bike is because I'll need something to take out to California, when I visit Glamis for my fourth time. At least there they give you as much room as you want for riding, with a lot less in the way of restrictions. I feel sorry for the people out of state who come up and get screwed with the new system. If you don't come up on early enough of Friday and need a parking lot voucher you might get stuck with only Sunday as your day to play.

'77 CJ7 AMC360/T400/Q-trac/D30/D44
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode