Sears Sucks! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Sears Sucks!

Sears had a flyer out this week with aluminum rims on sale. One style was available in a 15x10 size for $320 for four wheels. I am thinking
that's a pretty darn good deal, but I am going to have to go and deal with the monkeys they call sales people at sears. So I go in there wanting to know
if they can tell me backspacing etc necessary to fit 15x10's with 33's on an 84 CJ which has stock 15x7's. After the initial bout of panic,
the guy tries calling the company that makes the wheels (the wheels are Z racing, which is affiliated in some way with sears). Whoever he talks
too says that you can't put wheels larger than 15x7 on an 84 CJ!!!!! So, anyway I get into an argument with the sales guy, saying I know that isn't true, but end up not ever getting the answer I wanted. So anyway, if anyone could tell me a reasonable backspacing for 15x10 or 15x8 rims to give sufficient space for 33x12.5s I sure would appreciate it. Needless to say, I doubt I will be going back to sears anytime soon>

CJay

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 11:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Sears Sucks!

Chances are that the 15X10 wheels that they have in stock have a 3.5" back spacing. I believe that this is a pretty standard offset for a negative offset wheel. I wouldn't go with anymore back spacing than that since you might have clearance issues with your suspension. The 3.5" should push the majority of your tire away from your suspension and give you better lateral stability. This will increase the load on your wheel bearings, so you might want to consider the 15X8.5 with a 3.5" back spacing. This will keep the 33's away from your suspension (not as far away as the 15X10 but it should clear) and it won't put much more of a load on your wheel bearings. Hope this helps... Bret

'56 CJ-5, 283, t-90/d18, 27/44, 2.5"(soon), 33's(soon), cage.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 03:12 PM
Can't Get Enough

Just got to laugh about this one! I think every retailer/service oriented/profesional business needs to be slammed on this board. No matter what, sooner or later, every business is going to provide some service that is not in line with what everyone believes they deserve or is in their best interest. So lets just start with Advance Adapters and end with Zoom clutches, (No harm to either of these organizations, they just happen to be the best A-Z example I could come up with during lunch.) and every thing in between. I'm sure someone can say something negative about each of them. Then, we wouldn't have to waist so much time looking for parts (We won't shop at any store, or buy any product) so our searches will be much more abreviated.

Actually, I think we all need to understand the level of knowledge we have and the level of knowledge the people we are dealing with probably have, and work with rather than against those limitations. Probably in the above situation, if you were better educated to the backspacing you needed, you could have entered the store, flopped down your cold, hard earned cash, and ordered what you wanted, no questions asked.

Just my humble opinion!

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 04:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree, research what you want. And if it is not stock application you cant hold it against somebody driving a chevy to get jeep parts.I am sure he could have told you load recomandations for wheel or max tire size. for any wheel you had ? on.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 04:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Actually that Sears guy was fully qualified to hold a job in today's "service" econnomy.....he KNOWS the four words....IS-THAT-WITH-CHEESE....that's all he needs to be able to handle to go to work[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 06:47 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Not just Sears, I sent my motorcycle to the shop for the spring tune up, and when I saw the slip that said "4 spark plugs", I had to ask where the fourth one went as it's a 3 cylinder. The slip also mentioned changing the master cylinder fluid, but it has manual drum brakes that are cable operated. Needless to say, the owner said he'd check over the slip personally, he I trust.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 07:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

About three years ago my dad went into the local WardsAutoCenter for some tires for a full size Dodge Pickup. He asked for some 31x10.50's and was told that they would not install any size that wasn't listed on the factory tire pressure label in the doorjam.

They lost the sale

jay2jeeps and a big 'ol Dodge
Join the NRA! It's the most important $35.00 you'll ever spend!
http://www.nrahq.org
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 07:40 PM
Can't Get Enough

Take it from experience. Buy the wheels, and if you are not completly satisfied, return them for full refund. If anybody gives you poop, drag them outside, and tell them to read what is above the door! " Satification garenteed, or your money back". If they still give you poop, tell them that you are going to the store manager. That always works.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 08:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You have to know that going into a place like Sears,or any other place for that matter,that the person on the other side of the counter may not be fluent in what you're speaking.Dave Frieburger wrote an excellent piece a few years ago about the counterman,A DYING BREED,for Petersons 4 wheel and offroad.In this particular case I think you should have done your research and then went and bought what you wanted-simple,and easier!
The best thing any of us can do is find a competent shop or parts store and patronize it exclusively,even to the point of having a favorite counter person.And don't be afraid to let the manager know when you had a good experience.Then maybe they'll pay your guy a little more and he'll stay put.Take it from me,I spent a number of years as a parts manager and service writer and service manager at two Ford dealers and I finally got tired of the idiots out there in the general public that always wanted free info,wanted to use shop manuals,wanted to talk to a tech,wanted to know this,that,and the other and wouldn't even say THANK YOU.I now work the wholesale end and get to deal with techs,owners,managers,etc.All they want is a THANK YOU,or better yet a SALE after helping someone.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 09:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My my,i am sure glad i have a tire shop local like this one,its a family run business that handles all major brands.I went in not long ago for tires that were 3 sizes larger than what the factory had used on my Eagle,the counter woman,yes woman,actually the mother of 3 sons that do all the installing asked,without looking anything up,asked "arent those larger than factory?" course i said yes,she asked if they rubbed any,nope i said,as my Eagle is lifted a few inches.She says ok,what kind do you want? and also,i can go in without appointment,get 4 tires installed,a front end alignment,with a total time of 1 1/2 hour or less every time.Lifetime alignments 39.00 free tire installation,mounting,balance,and stems.I have bought struts there cheaper than Advance Auto. And whats really nice,is they will allow you in the shop,least when they see you know a little about what you are talking about anyway.And listen to your input on vehicle problems.Just had to mention this since this type of service and attitude and knowledge is so few and far aprt now days...Umm,i forgot free coffee ,all you want, while you wait !
As for Sears,i went one time and bought a Craftsman tool set,socket/wrench set.Noticed later they had 2- 7/16 wrenches in it instead of 1-7/16 and a 3/8
went back and requested i turn in the dup wrench for correct one from the shelf,first i got a "cant do that" clerk asked another,he had no idea if they could do it,just this took about 15 minutes.By the time i was getting a bit aggrivated,i had 4 clerks standing looking at each other.Well,long story short,they had already saw receipt where i bought the tools the day before,i went and picked up a 3/8 wrench,walked back to counter,held up my dup,said "see??"
laid it down.YOURS,i said.. held up replacement,said see?? MINE,i said. then said bye bye. walked out...They never said a word..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode