Motor mounts leaking? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Motor mounts leaking?

This may be a silly question but Is it possible for an oil leak to occur around the motor mounts on a 258? Here's a little background: I had a large oil leak, likely from the timing cover but I replaced the valve cover, oil pan, and timing cover gaskets/seal. Almost everything under the hood was covered in oil prior to the new gaskets. I cleaned everything I could under the hood, but I missed a few places, of course.
After driving about 60 miles per day (with new gaskets), everyday, for the past 4 days, at varying speeds up to 60 mph, the oil pan, timing cover, valve cover, and engine block are dry, except for a small portion on the block where the pass. side mount bolts to. The mount is oily on top and mostly around it, causing a drip to accumulate and fall to the ground. It isn't running down the block to the oil pan and is only a small amount. After noticing the drip, I replaced the fuel pump mounting gasket. Still dripping. The dipstick tube is slightly saturated at the block but only covers a very small area, not dripping. the distributor does not show leakage.
I think that cover just about everything.
I would think that oil would run down the block if it were cracked at the motor mount mounting location. Or the whole issue may just be oil still dripping from before.

Thanks,
Tim

'88 YJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 10:29 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Naw. It's likely just residual oil. Let it drain, then clean it; and maybe you will be done or find the leak.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 10:07 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

PS. Also try Restore USA - Engine Restorer for oil blow by. It worked for me on 2 258s.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Thanks, Raduckal. I've used Restore before and didn't notice much difference. But I don't mind giving it another go.
I suppose I was joking when I said the motor mounts were leaking. And the leak is just getting worse. I dyed the oil and saw a trail from the oil cap down to the pan. So I replaced the cap. No leak there anymore. So I cleaned the engine again this morning and drove 35 miles to work. From the point where the head meets the block and down to the bottom of the block, and from the front of the block to the distributor is moist, almost saturated with oil. The motor mount seems to collect the majority of the oil as it has pooled up in any possible place on the mount. I replaced the fuel pump mounting gasket as well as the others described above. The timing cover does not seem to be the source of the leak but I will check in daylight tomorrow. I will probably just connect a shop vac to the pcv port and plug the breather to check for holes. And once found, I will silicone the holes, allowing the suction to pull the silicone into the gap.
Any other suggestions or possible areas to check that I have overlooked?
Thanks again,
Tim

'88 YJ
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

I cleaned the engine again, drove it for about a mile at 30MPH and under, found oil on the fuel pump but not where it meets the block. The oil is coming from the aluminum case of the pump, right below the brass top. Such a strange place for oil to leak...and hopefully the fuel didnt make its way past the diaphragm, into the crank case.
-Tim

'88 YJ
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

I imagine the leak was at the weep hole of the fuel pump, so I replaced the pump. But isn't this supposed to weep gas, not oil? I have no gas in the crank case and none was found outside the pump, just oil. The top portion of the pump turned as I attempted to loosen the fuel line during removal.
-Tim

'88 YJ
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 09:31 AM

That's a strange leak. The area of the weep hole is open to the crankcase, through the gap where the lever arm reaches in to the cam eccentric, so oil could come out there, but shouldn't. Is it possible that your PCV valve is bad, allowing a little pressure to build up inside the crank and push a mist out into the pump?

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode