Live nude girls and free beer!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 09:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Live nude girls and free beer!!!!

Sorry I was hoping a name change would get more attention:

Ok I'm finally going to do it. I'm going to Moab over Labor Day. But one slight problem, I need to get my M38A1 done and done right with some time to spare so I can shake her down before I head out. So here's what I got: 1 52' M38A1 in bad shape, 4 buick v6s in various states of disrepair both odd and evenfire, sm465 in good shape with adapter, several Dana 18s, a pair of Wagoneer axles, and various steering, suspension components. So basically I have all the big stuff I just need help with the details. I can handle the suspension and driveline install but there are some smaller items that are giving me a bit of trouble.

Engine: I have several engines and by reputation I have desided to run an oddfire due to their heavy flywheels and low end torque. What exactly is the difference between the odd and even fires, and how can I tell the difference? Who makes performance parts for 225s like cams, headers, ect?

Ignition: I don't know much about ignition but I did smile when I saw the 401 I bought for my Commando had a Motocraft distributor after reading the TR ignition upgrade. How much of that information can be applied to the Buick V6s?

Brakes: My Wagoneer rear end doesn't have any brakes but I have several options.
I could get a set stock drums of a buddy for free, but wheres the fun in that?! Are there any junkyard, i.e. cheap rear disc upgrades out there? I would like to convert over to fullfloat with disc but the cost is a bit much. Does anyone know what the dimensions of the Warn full float spindle are? Do they match that of a Wagoneer spindle so I could hang TTB f-150 hubs on it and save some cash?

Bellhousing: Has anyone mated a Buick V6 to a SM 465 before? What problems did you run into besides having to machine the bellhousing for the larger bearing retainer?

I guess that'll get me started. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks
Travis

So many Jeeps... So little time[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 04:56 PM
Addict

Re: I need help, lots of help.

I see that you're not getting much action here... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I'm not an expert, but you might want to ask your 225 questions in the jeepster forum, since a lot of them came with that engine. Also, you might want to take a look in the following places:

<A HREF="http://bigbroncos.com/jeep/tech/convtrans/what.html

http://www.midwest4x4.simplenet.com/...buickinfo.html

http://www.midwest4x4.simplenet.com/...rd/hhdaunt.htm " target="_new">http://bigbroncos.com/jeep/tech/convtrans/what.html

http://www.midwest4x4.simplenet.com/...buickinfo.html

http://www.midwest4x4.simplenet.com/...rd/hhdaunt.htm </A>

BTW: My brother is building a '72 CJ5 with the Dauntless 225, and he is using the HEI on it. Most of his information on the engine, including the rebuild, was from the race track crowd.

hope that helps get you started.

If I was a horse, they would have shot me years ago... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 07:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the input, anyone else have any pearls of wisdom for a fellow Jeeper?

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 10:19 PM

AZ,
The clock is running, less talk more wrenchin. You need to start bolting parts onto that thing ASAP, and let the chips(or parts) fall where they may or this project will still be a dream come labor day. Start placing all the parts you are sure about,and the others will fall into place.
Like I tell my Foremen, "Theres nothing like actually starting the work, to help the work get finished".

Jeff
89 Wrangler
The beatings will continue until the morale improves.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2000, 05:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

H8Monday,
Yeah I know it, I got 5 days off for the 4th and I'm hoping I can get the suspension and driveline installed then. Then for the rest of the time I have to balance working on my jeep and wrenching on other peoples toys to get money. I'm sure I'll have it done in time though. These are the only things that are hanging me up but I'm sure someone out on cyberland can help. Thanks
Travis

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2000, 10:42 AM

"Live Nude Girls!!!"
So much more animated that those "Dead Nude Girls" they had before....

I never understood that 'Live' thing in front of 'Nude Girls'....
Nude Girls would get my attention even if I were dead....
I'm just that strip joint kind of guy, I guess...

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2000, 10:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Im thinking your going to break records for the most views having that Subject Title!!

Good Luck

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger (or dumber).
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2000, 11:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah it seems to be getting a lot more attention then please help[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I'm sorry if I got anyones hopes up. I'm heading out the door shortly to 4wheelers supply to find the answer to my Warn spindle questions. If things go right maybe we'll all have a fun new full float idea. Happy Jeepin'
Travis

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2000, 01:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Live nude girls and free beer!!!!

Yo AZ,

A couple of bits of advice.....just my $0.02

Don't bother full floating that rear axle. If you're only going to run a v6 that rear dana 44 (or is it a M20 w/ factory 1 piece alxes) should hold up just fine. I'm assuming the donor had a quadracrap, so that Dana 18 xfer should work fine. Leave the 6 lug bolt pattern, its the same as toyota and chevy, read cheap wheels. That light weight M38A1 with a six banger would not get much benifit much from rear disks. Grab the free drums and save some cash for new gears/lockers. Leave the axles full width (unless you want a street vehicle). This will save you much cash and a bunch of time (worth money). Move the spring pearches on the rear axle and move the spring mounts up front to outside of the frame. Moving the spring mounts sounds scarry, but its way easier than cutting down an axle. Just make some triangle gussets.

As far as the engine, I'd run run the evenfire 3.8L. The 225 is a good engine but the 3.8L evenfire is easier to trouble shoot than the odd fire. Plus you can find plenty of 3.8L's in the junk yard. Many had factory HEI. Evenfire engines go: bump,bump,bump,bump oddfires go: thump,thump----thump,thump. That's because the time between the cylinder firing is not evenly spaced.

So long as the SM435 has the butterfly pattern the bearing retainer is the only worry. Check the input splines and pilot bushing though. A clutch disk change may be in order. Also, the buick manual bellhousings are hard to come by, so don't screw it up.

As for order, do the axles/spring mounts first, that way the jeep is somewhat mobile. Gears can wait until later. Tranny next, set it up with the xfer case adapter. Bellhousing next. Bolt any of the engines blocks to the bellhousing/tranny/xfercase. Measure, measure, measure, weld motor mounts, measure (grind/reweld if need be). Drill frame rails and bolt up crossmember. Start messing with engine on the bench. Order driveshafts. Send out block to be machined. Go nuts with wiring for a couple of days. Get engine block back from machine shop. Assemble engine. Install clutch. Swap good engine with dead block in jeep. Continue going nut with wiring. Add oil to all gear boxes. Start engine. Install driveshafts. test drive. Come home with huge f**king smile. Drive jeep to mechanic to install 4.xx gears. Go nuts trying to find something to do while jeep isn't home. Reorganize garage. Find missing tool behind work bench. Go pick up jeep. Come home with huge f**king smile. Thank wife/girlfriend for not getting pissed off for spending all free time with jeep and not her for the last three months. Pack for moab. Any questions?

Best of luck on the project!

PS, I started a thread awhile back on the do-it your self rear full-float. http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//...vc=1#Post42357

My name is Ted, and I'm a Jeep-a-holic. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2000, 08:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Live nude girls and free beer!!!!

Thanks for the advice, but I think fullfloat would be a worthwhile verture. Sure it's only a V6 but by the time the torque reaches the rear shafts it's been multiplied 100x. Even so I think you're right and the 30 spline d44 shafts would hold up just fine but there are 2 other things to consider.
1) What if we're wrong, I've busted dana 44 shafts before and seen the rear tire go cruising down the road. With Full float loosing a wheel is very unlikely.
2) towing. I tow my Jeep even to close trails so if/when it brakes I'm still getting home. My tow vehichle is a 99 Tacoma and while it does great for retrieving busted Jeeps off road It lacks the fire breathing V8 I like in tow vehichles so flat towings the usual route I take. And while the difference would almost certainly be unnoticable the 4 wheel discs wouldn't drag like drums. Also using TTB Ford Hubs front and rear I would enjoy parts interchangability. I also have 6 sets of 5 lug wheels and no 6 lugs.

As for the front axle and driveline install I got that licked. Steels my favorite thing to work with and I'll be designing the outriggers later today then sending them down to my buddies shop so they can use their flame tracer and punch to make them all pretty. Then just fire up the welder and gusset the holy bajesus out of it.

Unfortunatly I have a large bearing 44 so I can't merely machine a wagoneer spindle. I fell asleep friday so I'll have to wait until Monday to harass Warn about their spindles. As for the odd vs. even fire debate I got about a 50/50 split and have some thinking to do. I have plenty of engine to pick from so for now I think I'll throw in a evenfire since it is the best runner I have then rebuild a 225 later.

Right now this biggest problem I see is an unexpecteed one: Hooking up the V6 to the SM465, it could be a bit tricky but I'm sure i can get it together somehow. I'm as single as the day is long so no worries about ignoring the girlfriend. Thanks again for the advice I hope I can get this beast going soon, and the next few busy weekends will let me see if I got a shot a Moab. Happy Jeepin'
Travis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode