New Jeep - What to Get? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 04:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

New Jeep - What to Get?

I've wanted a Wrangler since I was 6 - finally gonna get one. Does anyone have advice on what options I need, or after market mods - I need to drive it every day as primary trans, but I want to be able to take it off-road without being embarrassed. Dealers have been telling me that the Dana 44 has been discontinued - probably because they don't have any in stock. Another dealer wants to do a 2" lift and throw on 32" tires. I basically have no clue - I just want a solid jeep without making it into a toy. Any advice would be VERY helpful. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 05:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: New Jeep - What to Get?

sure thing... this is a great place to ask,,
the dana 44 has been discontinued( i might have got one of the last haha) but if you look, there are still 2000 model wranglers around with the dana 44
if you can't find one of those, here are a few things you want to get
1) the 4.0 drive the 4.0 and then the 4 banger..you'll see
2) get the tire and rim package... it comes with 8 inch rims that will accept 33's later
3) don't get a black tj... it seems like everyone has black.....
4) don't order the factory winch.. it is WAY overpriced
i think used tj's(97 and up) are a good deal.. find one with the 4.0 thats reasonably priced and drop the top...and don't forget to wave at other jeeps

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 06:50 AM

If you are ordering one new from the factory, have them install 4.10 gears into both axles. If you are getting one from the dealer you might want to try having them swap the axles from a 4-banger under your Jeep to get the better gearing. Stock height Wranglers will accept 31x10.5 tires with minor rubbing, and a four inch lift will clear 33 inch tires with no rubbing. Check out these links for lifts kits for your Wrangler:Rusty's Off-road , Rubicon Express , Warn Black Diamond

Just bought a DJ-5C! Sliding doors and right-hand drive are cool [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 07:58 AM
Can't Get Enough

If I were going to get one, I would make sure that it had full steel doors, and a rag top with the 4.0. After that (besides the 44 option) Mopar's accessory's seem pretty chincy compared to aftermarket stuff. I think that the full steel doors are great. Just lift on and off, air tight, and the window dosn't get in your way. A hard top is a pain to store in the summer months, and harder to come on and off. (my top is only on 4 months of the year) I also wouldn't waist your money on the tube bumpers and nerf bars, these are pretty weak, and are mostly cosmetic.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 08:23 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i myself pretty much agree with everyone here.. but i would look for a used one.. with the Dana 44, hard doors, and some nice 8" rims.. that you can keep if you ever decide to lift it.. and put slightly bigger tires on.. then you dont need rims right off.. but that is me.. will also save you acouple of grand..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 08:34 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Also do a search on the subject, there ahve been a lot of discussions on what to order in a new TJ. I also agree with all the aforementioned suggestions. If you plan on wheeling <font color=red>DON'T SETTLE FOR THE 35C REAR AXLE</font color=red>, you'll regret it later. And the 4.0 is a necessity, everything else is trivial compared to these items.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 09:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is the Dana 44 really discontinued forever? Are they going to have more available next year? Just wondering.

Happy Jeeping! George

'72 CJ5 V8 304 3Spd...pretty much stock
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 09:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not to familiar with Dana parts but I hear a lot of negative feedback on the 30/35 axles. Whats the deal with these?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 09:15 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I agree with the other post. But I think I'll wait to see the 2002 model. It's supposed to have some cool features; like a modular hardtop, Dorfs. Hemi engine, wishbone suspension may also add to the list.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 09:55 AM
Veteran

I just spoke with a dealer yesterday in Wilmington, NC and he said that all new Wranglers that come with the 30" tire package come with the Dana 44. I also went on the net to some of the vehicle ordering sights and when you check off that you want the 30" tire package the Dana 44 and 3.73 gears highlight themselves. The dealer assured me, again, that all new TJ's w/ 30" tire package come with the D44. I haven't heard anything about the D44 being discontinued, the dealer I spoke with said that he had a Sahara coming in on Monday, which I'm looking at, complete with the 44. Just look around and under the TJ's that you are considering.

I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Semper Jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode