The job wasn't very difficult at all, after I cut the last remaining spring clip off. In fact my granddaughter did the right side after I showed her how on the left side.
Out of 24 pads there were two or three that weren't worn through at the very least, and several were gone entirely except for the little retainer button. This is typical of what we took off:
I sharpened a chisel for the air hammer which cut the buttons off easily. We forced the leaves apart with a fat screwdriver. A couple of whacks on a pin punch got the button out of the hole so the remains of the pad could slide out.
The leaves of the right front spring were splayed out, and the U-bolts had to be loosened to get them stacked properly. Putting the clips on was easy. I put them in place, squeezed them together with a C-clamp, bent the ears over with Vice Grips, and then hammered them down. The whole job only took an hour or so.
The Jeep rides better now, the front axle doesn't slide side to side with steering inputs, and most of the clunking and graunching is gone. There are still a few strange creaks and groans, which I hope to cure before the Bash.