Carburetor update - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Carburetor update

The Carter YF was running rich, and there was a pretty bad stumble when opening the throttle. Also, after sitting a few days, it would take a long time cranking to get the engine to start. When I rebuilt the carb I noticed a tiny tear in the accelerator pump diaphragm. I figured it was at least part of the cause of the stumble, and thought no more about it. Then I did some research on the YF and how it works.

A couple of days ago I was thinking about all that, and suddenly it became clear; The pump doesn't squirt when it's pushed down, it squirts on the upstroke. There's a little hole at the side of the diaphragm that lets gas flow from between the diaphragm and its cover, down into the base of the carb and from there over and up to the discharge nozzle.

The metering rod is attached at the top of the pump stem, so that when the pump comes up, as the throttle is opened, the metering rod is lifted out of the jet causing a richer mixture.

Something I didn't know is that there's a passage from below the throttle plate into the area under the pump diaphragm. During light cruise manifold vacuum pulls the diaphragm down, which lowers the metering rod and also increases the capacity of the pump when the throttle is opened.

So that little hole in the diaphragm was causing problems in at least five ways:

It was decreasing the pump volume by not having it pulled down as far as it should.

It was decreasing the pump volume by letting gas squirt through it when the pump operated.

It caused a rich condition by not pulling the diaphragm down as far as it should, lowering the metering rod.

It added further to the rich condition by letting gas pass straight through it into the intake manifold.

It was letting gas seep out when the engine wasn't running.

The engine is running MUCH better now. It's very responsive to throttle changes, and I expect that the mileage will increase, too. So far I've only run about a quarter tank through it. I'll know more soon. According to the air/fuel meter, the mixture is about right for all steady state conditions.

But it's very plain to see the basic problem with carburetors; any significant change in throttle position causes wild swings in the ratio before it settles down in the new position. Functionally it's not too bad, but the advantage of fuel injection for economy and emissions is now quite obvious.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Way Outta Control

Glad you got it fixed... now don't run into a cow watching that fancy-dancy AF ratio meter.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

No worries. For a while it was so interesting that it was a distraction, but I'm pretty much used to it now. I only look at it when I do a full scan of the panel.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode