Doing the clutch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Doing the clutch

Okay, I have to change my clutch and bellhousing. I was checking out how to do it in books and looking underneath. Here's how I see it. It's a T-5 attached to a 258

Rent tranny jack. I have a floor jack for the engine and jack stands for the axle.

Undo speedo cable, vent line and reverse thing and clutch linkage

Here's my first question- do I undo the driveshafts before taking off the crossmember? I'm a little unsure of how to get the driveshafts apart, so if someone could help.

Put jack under engine, undo tranny mount, remove crossmember

unbolt tranny from bellhousing?

slide tranny back and out of way.

Unbolt bellhousing

Remove throwout bearing

Unbolt clutch cover in crisscross pattern

Remove cover and clutch plate.

Unbolt flywheel in same pattern-have flywheel resurfaced

Change wick in pilot bushing

Okay- anything I missed or should know about so far?

On reinstallation I know to use the clutch alignment tool and pretty much reverse order of removal. I know that to get the tranny remounted I might need to move the jack under the oil pan a tad.

While everything is out, is there a way to eyeball the rear main to see if that should be done?

I'm pretty nervous about this cause it's my first time doing anything major myself.

Hope you all can help guide me.
If anyone knows of webpages that might help, please let me know
thanks a bunch

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 07:06 PM

Re: Doing the clutch

Did my first clutch last December; not that bad of a job. My CJ had T4 and 258.

Definately remove driveshafts and get them out of the way. Mine were held to the yoke with straps (as opposed to u-bolts), used a 1/4" 12 point socket to take out the little bolts. If memory serves they were actually external torx bolts, but the 1/4 12 point worked fine.

Don't think you have to unbolt the bellhousing. I swapped in a T-18, so had everything out and apart.

Lots of socket extensions and universal 9/16" and 1/2" sockets will come in handy. It's helpful to have another set of hands under there when you're putting it back together. One person to put in bolts and one to benchpress tranny and T.C.

Replace the throwout bearing. They are cheap, and it's way to much work to do it again just for the bearing.

Lowering the transmission slightly made it easier to get to the top bolts in the bellhousing. I actually dropped it all the way down (just the motor mounts holding everything) to get to the last two bolts.

Good luck,

Max

82 CJ7, 258, T-18, 4" BDS, York air, Warn 9500Hsi
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 07:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

just a hint to make it go easy.. get (3) 10" extensions and take the bolts holding the bellhousing on out fom BEHIND THE TRANSFER CASE.. if you stick your head up there, and look towards the engine.. you'll be able to see almost all the bolts.. dropping the skipplate does work well to get at those last 2 bolts....

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 08:19 PM

Don't mean to sound cynical...but why not get your hands on a Haynes manual and follow step by step?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
JK
O|||O
78CJ5 360
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 08:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Too bad you don't have the Iron Duke.....It was actually easier for me to pull the engine to do the clutch (probably the only advantage of that little wimpy motor)

Bob N
"Think your new truck is better, let's go wheeling and see"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

I've got the manual and the Jeep bible, but everyone who has done this before might have a better way to do things and might know little tricks to make it easier. I'm just trying to supplement the books with some real life know how.

Sean

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 02:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yes deffinatly use that clutch tool.i tried to eyeball it .needless to say it didnt work not to mention i tried to do it all myself.you do need an extra set of hands for sure.i dont know how easy you try to make a job,but make sure you keep all the bolts in a bowl or something i had to make two trips to the hardware store .im kinda sloppy when i work on my jeep.good luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode