Big Ed is Back, but I'm in Maine now... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Big Ed is Back, but I\'m in Maine now...

For those of you that are regulars you may remember me, been off line for 3 weeks while I moved from Alabama to Maine. Just wanted to check if anyone is near Auburn, ME.
Anyone going to a 4 wheeler weekend/jamboree near a place in Honeywell (spelling) ME on the weekend of the 4th? I'm trying to get some info on it.
big ed

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 06:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Big Ed is Back, but I\'m in Maine now...

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Lessee....is this right? Your wife is a Mainer? Are you THAT Jeep guy?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 06:12 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Welcome! Auburn huh? Couldn't get away from the city after all [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Honeywell (or Honeywell Valley) is mud runs, no trails. It's where the Good 'Ole Boyz hang out and run their rigs. It's a good time, I have a friend that races his 1/2 ton Chevy with 38's on it.

The club you're looking for is in Bethel, just an hour or two above you. There are actually 2 clubs, that run rides about 2 weeks apart. One is Western Maine Mountain Jeepers http://www.datamaine.com/wmmj/ and the other is Overland Jeepers of Maine at http://www.midcoast.com/~jeeps/. Both have decent trails, but the Overlanders have a lot more of them and more extreme. Personally I prefer the Overlanders, great group but either is friendly to all.

We've got to hook up one of these days and head out. We're also thinking of starting another club out here, in the downeast section of Maine. If you need anything or have any questions, give me a holler.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 07:26 PM
onetuffcj

Wlecome to Maine Ed, I live in Harrison, i'm about 20 minutes from your dooryard, and 20 minutes from Auburn. Hope we can hook up cause we have some good wheeling right here in this area. We have to hit up Streaked Mountain on S. Paris, wanna do it but need a good jeep to go with. many more after that. Where did you land a job?
Mike [email protected]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Cool! I wasn't sure if I'd find somebody in maine or not. I have heard about streaked, supposed to be pretty cool. I remember you Jeepn, wasn't sure if you'd still be around or not. I'm working for Fairchild in Portland. Living in Auburn with my wife's parents while we find a house to buy/build.
My brother in law is finishing up a killer yota cruiser, says he wants to run streaked sometime soon. Will send you and email Mike.

Also, does that Uncle Henry's kick A$$ or what! If you're in Maine, you know what I'm talkin' 'bout!
big ed

<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 07:03 AM
Matt M38A1

You like that dontcha! You can basically find anything you need in that little book. The price is usually right, too. Are you from 'Bama originally? I have a friend whose run Streaked, you definetly want two rigs, anyway. Auburn, huh. Long commute to work.

55 M38A1 40% Complete
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 08:20 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Streaked is a great mountain, but it's usually closed, gated off (our club helped install the gates with the landowner). I've run it a few times (both ways), best time is in the fall, scenery is awesome. We even ran it once in the TJ, but not without some damage (side steps), the posi was a necessity, and the off camber stuff was unreal, wife would have divorced me if she'd been there. Even had the TJ up on 3 tires, she was headed over if someone hadn't grabbed the front tire and put the strap on. There's a lot of wheeling and a lot of jeeps just to the north of you, you shoudl contact the clubs and see if you can go on a run, they'll usually let you so you can see what the clubs are like, to see if you want to join. There's also a bunch of jeep fanatics in the midcoast area (Rockland, Camden) and a bunch of trails. Out east here I'm finding more and more, with some really built rigs. You've made it to a great state for jeeping my friend.

No, Uncle Henry's sucks, don't buy it! Boycott them! Of course I'm only saying this because now there's one more person in the state I have to compete with on all the jeep parts and tire deals. BTW, Ron's Off-Road in Winthrop (east of you about 30 miles) has the best prices on Swampers and off-road stuff in the state, his ads are in Uncle Henry's and he's a decent guy.

Whatever you do, don't move into the Portland area, they are the only county that has the emissions crap, all the other counties are exempt (it's also expensive to live there). The further into the rural areas you get, the more lenient the police are regarding lifted rigs, and the more you can get away with. What is Fairchild (sounds familiar) in Portland and what do you do (trade/job)? I know of a bunch of people down that way (main office of my Company is in Portland). Glad to have another BBS'er in the state, we'll definitely hook up.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

I just can't resist the uncle henry's, definitely worth the $buck.50.
I'm an army brat so I'm from nowhere, went to college in AL, high school in kansas blah blah......
Fairchild Semiconductor is next to National Semiconductor near exit 7A, I'm an electrical engineer there. Seems to be a really cool place to work so far.
Am looking at land in Poland, new gloucester, gray, right now. Was trying to find some land in North Yarmouth but it seems like the most you can get is 2 acres, which costs the same as 20 acres elsewhere!
After I get some new tires, I'm ready for the trails.
big ed

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 12:00 PM
Matt M38A1

Yup!

I'm from Scarborough, now living in windham. The house we got in Windham would've been completely out of reach in Scarborough. I have a couple friends that work for National. I here they are both very good to work for. Gray, gray/new gloucester is nice. Everything within five, ten minutes of work is going to expensive. Quarter/Half acre lots in Scarborough are going for 40 grand plus. Unbeleivable. Good luck in the search!

55 M38A1 40% Complete
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 01:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Jeep "N"....I want you to start this next payday saving up for some home upgrades which would result in some richly appointed guest accomodations.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] When Jeepchick and I are completely retired and living in the "Flyover" section of the USA(Iowa). We will want to go to the extreme Northeast to see the fall colors.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] We are even crazy enough to go to the NE in the SNOW....seeing as how we have the "ultimate" SNOJEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]The three things that I have always had on my list are: New England in the Fall; the INDY 500 in person(including the museum); and visit the Queen Mary in Long Beach. So far I have a photo of me in the engine room with my hand on the telegraph, but the other two items still elude me. Yeah, Yeah, I know....engineers are wierd people; but why be normal?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode