tranny length question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 01:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

tranny length question

How much longer is the NV4500 than the stock AX-5 that I have in my 4 cyl YJ? Also, does anyone know how much shorter or longer the Atlas t-case is compared to the NP231? I appreciate all your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 02:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: tranny length question

OK, I found out from AA that the Atlas II t-case is 2 1/2" shorter than an NP231 with SYE kit. But I still need to know how much shorter or longer the NV4500 is compared to the AX-5. Does anybody know?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 07:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know exactly, but I do know this:

AA says that the bellhousing/tranny/adapter for the nv4500 is roughly the same length as the AX15 + bellhousing. The AX15 is roughly 1.5 - 2 inches longer than the AX5. I'm not sure how long the adapters are, so I can;t tell you the exact length of the tranny. I would assume that the tranny with adapters would be about 1.5 - 2 inches longer than what you have now. if you had an Atlas II, then the whole thing should be about the same length as what you have now, assuming you now have a SYE. This is just what I've been told. I never looked into it further because I simply don't have the cubic dollars necessary to get into this combo. The tranny itself is expensive enough, but the adapters are completely outrageous. However, I do remember calculating at one time that an NV4500 + Atlas II would end up being about 2 inches shorter than what I have now (AX15 + 231SYE).

Chad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 07:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I don't think I'll need adapters because I'm also swapping the engine for a 350 that I have sitting in the garage. All the pieces should mate up together pretty well. The tranny and t-case will come adapted since I'm buying them from AA.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 09:14 AM
I Do This For The Glory

According to my AA books, the AX-5 is 10.25" long, and the NV4500 is 12.37" long. Do you need any other info?

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 04:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cooool. In that case, the whole thing becomes a real guessing game, because the 350 may not sit in the same place (and is a different length) than what you have now. I know of at least 2 v8 conversions that used 5.0 ford engines that were able to locate the engine 2 - 4 inches forward of where the I6 was before. Don't know of where exactly a 350 goes, but do know that it is not as short as the ford. I suspect that you will end up with the bellhousing in more or less the same place as an I6. I think you're going to have to talk to AA more to figure it out.

Chad

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 11:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I'll be buying everyhting from them anyway(engine mounts, bellhousing, tranny, t-case, etc). The reason I even asked this question is that I wanted to get an idea of how much I'll be shortening/lengthening my driveshafts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode