Warn winch integrated or not best? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 01:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Warn winch integrated or not best?

I am going to add a Warn 9000 winch to my CJ5. Now to choose integrated or not. The integrated package seems handy (all in one), but the standard winch would be less air blockage for the radiator, and looks maybe stronger (nice strong metal members across the top of the spool)??? On the non-integrated version, does anybody mount the solenoid pack under the hood? Most I have seen are just above the winch. Does anybody have any input on whether to choose integrated or not? Is the integrated version as strong as the non-intergrated? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Happy Jeeping! George

'72 CJ5 V8 304 3Spd...pretty much stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 01:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Warn winch integrated or not best?

I had the same considerations when I purchased my winch. I went with the HS9500 (non-integrated).

My advice... Go with the integrated solenoid! The solenoid takes up very little space up front and is much cleaner and easier to wire. You also get 50' more of cable.

I mounted my external solenoid in the engine compartment and had to purchase extended cables that got kind of pricey. The solenoid pack is rather bulky and the wiring to it looks rather messy.

I live in Arizona so I wanted the lower profile, external solenoid for radiator air-flow purposes. I see now that it would make very little difference with air flow.

As far as strength.... the external solenoid is housed in a rather cheap plastic box.

LarryM

"and I dont care about HEI vs TFI"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 06:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] On every electric winch application I have owned, whether it was recreational or business, we "stripped" the unit and ran cables to a totally remote set of solenoids. We found that there is less damage from errant wire rope, and it gets the components out of the weather as well.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Larry....I LOVE that little by-line..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]We will be going with a DuraSpark upgraded ignition together in addition to a MSD/TFI ignition, using dual triggers in the distributor. I guess we could come up with a tricky dual drive and also run a complete GM HEI distributor as a back-up setup to the back-up setup which is a back-up to the main ignition. That should about cover us, eh?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 08:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dave....wait till you hear about this new distributor-less ignition upgrade

BTW, Im not sure I used the word "rather" enough times in first reply.

LarryM

"and I dont care about HEI vs TFI"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 10:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] We have a Pontiac with the Quad-Four in it. That is one heck of an engine....it has horses we haven't even USED yet...and it is distributorless. Really cool setup. We used to have a natural gas engine that had a coil for each jug, and just a "timer" on the gearcase to fire the coils.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode