Good engine deal or not? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 12:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good engine deal or not?

I need your guy's opinion on if this sounds like a good engine deal or not. It is a 1992 350 TBI unkown mileage, but he thinks it is just over 90000, with uncut wiring harness and computer for $750. Also there is a 1988 that is suppose to have 89,000 miles (same price)but it looked like there was oil around the valve covers and the covers were rusty. The 1992 didn't show any oil anywhere and the covers were just dusty dirty. I know that the filters were not OE so they have been changed. The 92 has the compressor, altenator, and power steering pump while the 88 has all of those plus something else under the compressor that I couldn't identify. I know it will not be like a rebuilt or new engine but for TBI does this sound good. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. If it sounds good I need to move on it today or tommorrow. Thanks.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 07:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Good engine deal or not?

I'm just moving this back to the top. I need to know if this sounds good please. Thanks.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 09:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

When I'm shopping for a used engine, I usually like to hear it run. Knowing that both engines are fuel injected, and computer controlled makes hearing the engine run not much of an option. Here are a couple things I'd check on both engines. Pull each spark plug and look at the color. Let's hope all eight are about the same shade, if one or more than one spark plug is not the same color as the others, BEWARE! Look for signs of new gaskets, this could mean nothing more than just fixing a coolant or oil leak, or someone could have tried to fix a rod knock with some new bearings? I seem to remember seeing at least one new / rebuilt water pump on an engine that had been overheated real bad! If you have an engine compression tester, run a compression test on every cylinder. An engine that has sitting around will not have good compression figures, but a good engine that has been sitting around will still have equal compression figures plus / minus 10%. Make sure to have the throttle blades open when doing a compression test to allow air to be drawn into the cylinders. If it's not possible to get a compression test, then I just walk away. There are lots of bad engine deals, only a few good engine deals, just my experience.
dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 09:37 PM

I concure Dave.

for that kind of $$$, Id want to hear and see it running, and STILL do a leakdown/compression test...

these engines routinely go 150K miles without major problems, but for 750 it has to be a good one, not a core with the computer stuff...

OzarkJeep

77 CJ5, in the process of outboarding the front springs and going SOA with uncut wagoneer axles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode