When did tires get so expensive??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Sawzall Poster Boy

When did tires get so expensive???

I was pricing out some tires today and holly cow you need to sell a kidney. I want to say in 2005 I picked up a brand new set of 36" Super Swamper TSL's for under $800 new shipped. The same set of tires is over $1200 new shipped. Holly cow they have gone up over 1/3 in price in 7 years and back then the economy was "doing good". How the heck does one afford off road tires these days?

Time to watch the classifieds like a hawk for some used tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Official Historian

Tell me about it. A few years ago, I bought a set of 34x10.50-15 super swamper LTB's because they were cheap. They were about $130 a tire. Now they are about $250 for the same tire. That's a 100% increase. I will be taking care of these tires for years since I may not be able to afford a new set anytime soon.

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Way Outta Control

Since 2005 tire prices, on average, have increased over 87%. That's a pretty hefty price increase, far out pacing wages. Why? Well:
  • There's a drought in the rubber producing areas.
  • Just last year, raw material increased 26% over the year before. That cost was passed on... and increased with every layer of production and sales.
  • Then came rains to break the drought. That kept the trees from being tapped. That increased prices.
  • World stockpile of raw rubber is only a little over 2 months... supply and demand takes over. The prices rise to the manufacture even more. If you could produce, magically, about 100,000 tons of raw rubber... prices would drop.

OK, now you know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 04:40 AM
Apprentice

Last year at the BASH, I cut the sidewall on a tire, well, I should have replaced it right away. Just ordered two new 31X10.50X15's. $400 for the two. The economy is picking up.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Sawzall Poster Boy

Yeah tires are stoopid expensive these days and it seems like most "cheap tires" aren't cheap tires any more.

I'm not sure how most "working folks" can afford new tires for their trail rigs. Used tire prices are all over the board from almost new to semi affordable. I ended up picking up 5 36" I rocks on decent looking 15x10 steel wheels (with I think 2 3/4" back spacing which the yota guys run), 4 of the tires are 50-70% and 1 is brand new for $500. The guy was in a pinch and needed money in a hurry.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Veteran

I got a pretty good deal on some new 33x12.50x15s @ $900 shipped, but last time I bought some I think I paid under $600 for a set mounted. Crazy. I've been in the paint industry for about 6 years now and we have seen increases of probably 50% or more in that time. Raw materials just keep going up like mad.

"a high counsel that I once heard given to a young person, "Always do what you are afraid to do."
--Ralph W. Emerson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode