Tow Vehicle, F250 used, worth it? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 09:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tow Vehicle, F250 used, worth it?

A friend is looking at a used '96 F250 crew cabbed with 98K on it. It has the Powerstroke and a Banks turbo package. His brother owns it and has taken great care of it. What do you think as far as miles left on the rig? Blue book is $22,000+/-. He thinks he will ask $18-19.
I have always heard great things about the powerstroke, He could really save a bundle compared to purchasing new.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 09:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tow Vehicle, F250 used, worth it?

The biggest thing to watch out for on a Powerstroke is cavitation. The diesel makes so much compression that the cylinder walls swell and return to normal on each compression stroke. This happens so fast that the coolant around the cylinder wall has a tendency to "hammer away" at it as it returns to normal. It's kinda like the ocean eating at the beach, just not as drastic. Slowly but surely this hammering away will eat through the cylinder walls, requiring a new engine. There is an additive to the coolant that must be added every 15,000 miles to prevent this from happening. I would stay away from a high mileage Powerstroke if the owner has no records of adding this coolant additive. If the guy has been adding this fluid, it sounds like a pretty good deal especially if it has a Banks PowerPak on it. Is it four-wheel drive?

How does the blind man pick up the "Seeing-eye" dogpoop?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

One more thing for you to consider is that diesiel parts are much more expensive than parts for gas motors, and you may have to buy some specialty tools to work on it. This became such a pita that I got rid of mine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 12:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 2000 CC Powerstroke and LOVE it. 235 HP, 500 ft. lbs. torque and 3.73 gears...as a tow vehicle it is exceptional! Mileage on the highway with the auto is about 18-19. The 96 with the Banks kit on it ought to be putting out horsepower and torque equivalent to or higher than mine. I have several friends and acquantances that have 200+k on theirs. My bro-in-law and my uncle both have 200,000 plus of hard ranch road, towing, and gallons of off-road diesel and they still run great. If he doesn't mind havng the old body style...go for it.
Shain

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 01:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

steelerfan,
Exactly what parts did you have trouble with and what type of diesel were you running. To make a generalization that diesel parts are more expensive than gas parts is akin to saying that Ford is better than Chevy. I have 50k on my '97 Powerstroke and have changed nothing other than fluids and filters. I have friends with over 150k on their Powerstrokes and have had no problems whatsoever. The only thing that I have found more expensive than a gas vehicle is the fact that an oil change is 14 quarts versus 5 or 6, but I change it myself so the cost impact is minimal. I will never own another gas powered pickup to use as a tow/ranch vehicle unless there is some drastic change in gasoline internal combustion technology. The torque is incredible, the fuel mileage is great, and the longetivity with proper maintenance can't be beat.

How does the blind man pick up the "Seeing-eye" dogpoop?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 07:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the input on the mileage powerstroke, i'll pass it on to my jeeping friend.
As for the last comment about which parts went bad, I had a '94 F350 crew,duelly- with the Turbo Diesel as my first tow vehicle. Loved the truck, but it was not until I was getting rid of it that I started listing the various parts that went bad on it over a two year period. Power steering, A/C, alternator, front brake caliper & rotor, one part on the diesel motor plus various small items on interior. The alternator was the last straw. Motor was still running strong. The new owner was excited that I had replaced all the other parts!
-Will

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 09:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Powerstroke is a really good engine.....

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 12:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Snowtow Yes this was a generalization to be more specific major motor parts are more expensive. If you don't believe me pick a part that both motors have in common and price them.Even parts like starters cost more for diesiel motors.I can't argue with you about fuel mileage diesiel mileage can't be beat.And by the way most advice can be said to be generalizations, because know body knows every thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode