Chevy engine? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Chevy engine?

Could someone direct me to some information on a sb Chevy upgrade for a CJ? I've heard about this, and I'd like more info...
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 11:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Chevy engine?

I have done one on my own vehicle, assisted on another, and have yet another in my shop right now. They are not that hard to do if you get your ducks in a row BEFORE you start tearing into the project. I have done the 4.3 CPI with 4L60E auto trans, Assisted on the LT1 with NV4500, and working with a friend on another LT1 with the 4L60E. Besides the engine, trans, axle upgrades if needed you can spend anywhere from 5000.00 - 18000.00 and up. These numbers are what I have personnaly worked on, and are for newer Fuel injected motors, which cost a little more up front, but do great in the hills. If you have more specific questions please feel free to ask me I will help with anything I can.

94 Wrangler w/4.3 CPI Vortec
www.geocities.com/chevyjeep1
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 12:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ChevyJeep 1 could you tell me what clutch and throwout bearing and plate etc...were used in the LT1 NV4500 swap? I am really close to putting a 350 TBI and NV4500 into my Jeep and that is where I'm having trouble. Thanks.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 02:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Advanced Adapters sells an installation kit for putting the NV4500 behind a 350. As I remember it includes the bellhousing,Master/Slave cylinder,throwout bearings and all other needed parts. The only part that was purchased seperately was the Centerforce 11" clutch kit. I get ALL my Advanced Adapter parts from a place called No Execuses. (No I do not work for them, or get kick back for the praise, they earned it all) I do not have their number on hand but will post that info soon. Hope this helps

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 03:17 PM

If you are going to put an auto tranny in a jeep, save yourself some trouble and get a TH350 or TH400. 700R4 / 4L60E's just can't take the abuse unless you pamper them, no offense to you 4sp auto owners. the 4spds will get you some better mpg's on the pavement though. Word to the wise, don't tow in OD if you go with the 4spd!!!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 03:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No offense to the 3sp owners out there, but.......
I have had the 4L60E in my rig since I did the swap, almost 2 years ago, and it is surely NOT pampered. I have pulled a dual axel car trailer with my s10 pickup on it several times in OD with no problems. I am sure that the fact that my jeep weighs a lot less thatthe normal vehicle that this tranny is put in help out. The earlier(mid 80's) 700R4(4L60) transmissions did have many problems with them and I would stay away from them. I was warned about this from many people when considering the trans. But I would choose the 4L60E over any other slush box, except the 4L80E, which is its bigger brother. The 4L60E has a better first gear ratio, 3.06:1. The TH400 robs to much horesepower, and the lack of an OD in the TH350 makes it a hard sell for my application, where I want to be able to actually drive my rig to the trails, and not have to spin 4000 RPM to maintain a decent speed on the highway. Another trail buddy has the TH350 with 4:88 gearing, and the RPM he turns to maintain a good speed is way to high for my taste. They have made some good changes to the 4sp trannys, and I would say that it is the last piece of drivetrain that I question when it comes to if it can take it or not. I trail hard and often. I push it to the limit, and all I have done to mine is use a good trans cooler, and change the fluid when it needs it. This is my thoughts, they are neither right or wron, but I have to say this tranny takes it as well as it dishes it out.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 06:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Thanks for the "heads up" on auto trannies, "ChJe1", we were wrestling with that very same issue not long ago. Our CJ came with a TH 400, and we desperately wanted to go with a modern overdrive tranny. We had a fresh AMC 304, so bolting to that would have meant an adapter, plus....up here in the mountains we can use OD so few times that we would not have really been in s good a position to benefit from the "road gear" as some Jeepers would. SOOOOOO......we stayed with the TH400. Now I have always heard that they are not an efficient box, and that they do consume HP. My question is: "Where does the power go?" If it is using up HP, it has to go to HEAT or forward motion. These TH400 don't SEEM to run that hot; I've had them in a lot of stuff from 3/4T pickups, Suburbans, to Jeeps. What IS the scoop on the TH400, "Where's the BEEF?"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 07:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I used motor mounts from Mountain Off Road Enterpries, http://www.mountainoffroad.com that are bolt in conversion motor mounts for a 350 into a CJ. My conversion was about $3,000. I did all the work myself. I modified a factory 304 V8 4 row radiator so that the inlet and outlet hose connections would work for a Chevy 350 engine. I have upgraded to a Ford T-18 4 speed manual transmission, about $600 once again doing all the work myself. I've also upgraded to a TBI system I got from a junk yard, about $200 and once again I did all the work myself. If you know how to figure out the wires of a fuel injection system, there dirt cheap at a junk yard! It's possible to convert to a 350 in a CJ on a budget, do it yourself and save!
dave

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 08:35 PM

Some good points chev jeep, it's always good for a someone who is trying to make a decision on a tranny to hear from both sides. Here's where I'm coming from. I burnt up the 4L60E in my '96 K1500 if February of this year, 3rd and 4th gear gone! I had a bed full of wood and was in OD going up a hill, truck has 80K on it Got several estimates to rebuild it, they ranged from $850 to $1100. The low bid was from a friend of mine, the parts totaled $700! I went with a 50K mi warranty on a dealer one for $1300. No problems yet, but I won't own the truck after 50K mi! If you smoke a TH350 (which I have never seen done), you're looking at $250. Just something more to consider. You can dog a 4L60E (if you have a cooler on them and watch the fluid) but don't expect to get 100K out of it without a rebuild unless you only use it as a daily driver on the road.
big ed

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode