I need advice: I might not be wheeling a Jeep. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 11:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I need advice: I might not be wheeling a Jeep.

Being the owner of a CJ5, I really feel that they are to short. so I have been looking at my qptions for a longer wheelbase. Here is what I have come up with so far.
I could lengthen the frame on my 5, Or I could buy a mid 70's small truck, and put my drivetrain in that. Here is the kicker, I just found a 79 Toyota 4x4 for free. It dosent have a drivetrain but the cab and frame are in good shape. it even has 2 inch lift springs, I can cut the fenders and build a flatbed so I would clear my 35's, and still have a light weight rig that wouldn't break very often. The full cab would be nice, because here in Montana you get 9 months of winter, and four wheeling in 10 degree or colder weather in a softtop CJ really dosnt excite me very much, Most of the road at higher elevation are still pretty much impassable except for the one in the club that are locked up and running 33 inch or better tires, I do expect that to change pretty quick, Then we can expect the first snow in September, usually dosn't get deep until November. Sorry to ramble on. What I really need is advice or options on my wheelbase problem. I want to go 105 or more. A Scrambler would be great, but finding one cheap is next to impossible, and I feel CJ7's, YJ's, and TJ's are to short also. I need your advice.

Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 12:03 AM

Re: I need advice: I might not be wheeling a Jeep.

HOw about settling for a 101 or 104" wheelbase? Look into a Jeepster or Commando, you can find them and they are real fun. A good vehicle to own and wheel, good people own them too. Check out the Jeepster forum, you will see what I mean. If you want to look at some rigs for sale, check out the classifieds at http://www.off-road.com/jeepster but always check your local paper, they appear funny as it may seem. Good luck.

John
yes, my user name is a typo, go figure.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 12:13 AM

Get a Jeepster Commando. The 66-71 is 101". The 72-73's are 104". A lot of the 72-73's came with 304's. Of cousre, they are not very plentiful. Check out the Commando board and the American Jeepster Club for some pics. The upside and downside is you might have to be creative to be able to build a Commando since the aftermarket isn't what it is for the CJ's. I think that is a good thing.

Scott
72 Commando

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 08:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If its free, go for it.I'm not to keen on driving them,but my dads been everywhere I have in my scrambler.They are great little trucks.We make him go first when the trees and brush are to thick.He can roll up his windows!!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 11:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you think that you can move all of your drivetrain over to the toy for less than the cost of another vehicle, I say why not. After all its not WHAT your ride its HOW OFTEN.

Happy trails....

94 Wrangler w/4.3 CPI Vortec
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 12:20 PM

Jeepseter Commandos are heavy!!

My dads '68 Jeepster Comanndo is pretty damn heavy. I would (and will) stretch a YJ to be the same length as a bobtailed CJ-8 but with the wheelbase an inch or 2 shorter to look better. like this: http://members.tripod.com/GRK_Taz/Comparing_TJ.JPG

Tas
'89 YJ 4.2L ax-15, flowmaster, euro taillights....

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 12:41 PM

Re: Jeepseter Commandos are heavy!!

Hey, free is free! And wheeling is wheeling. Get the Toy and enjoy [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

John
95.5 YJ with "stuff"
94 GMC Z71 without "stuff"
http://SonsofThunder4x4.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 01:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm never one to pass up free 4x4 stuff regardless of their condition, shape, usefulness, etc...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img], so I'd get the toy truck regardless of what you do. BUT, those Commandos are ultra cool...I want one bad! Your profile indicates your jeep is well built...it'd be a shame to but all that in a toyota truck (IMHO). I'd lean towards the hardtop Commando...maybe a Scout (kissing cousin to jeeps)...or maybe a CJ6 and slap a CJ7 hardtop on it. "Lightweight" seems to me to be kind of a relative term when your talking about a 401, heavy t18, Dana 44s, 35s...I understand what your saying though.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I guy here in the Ft. Worth Dallas club has a streched CJ5, Rick Neill, but I'm pretty sure quite a bit of $$ went into it...probably more than the cost of a decent Scrambler.(You can check it out in the recent 4WPW flyer). Just my thoughts.
Shain

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 01:23 PM
Gibby

I have had lots of Toys and a couple of Jeeps. The toy will ge better in your climate
but slow with the original motor. They don't break often, though. I would keep ther
jeep for a while also, till you decide which you prefer. Just don't end up like me
with 2 88 4runner SR5s, 1 74 CJ5 T18A, 33s etc, 67 Jeepster on the way and
no more room Gibby

~Someone's got to keep the bastards on their toes~
-HST
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 07:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually, my CJ is pretty light, just a little bit over 3000 pounds. I really like my CJ, but decided I needed a longer wheelbase after I went to Moab( the week before ESJ ). You wouldn't believe how many times I had the front or rear wheel off the ground On some of the steep climbs or desents, and I really want to go back to Moab just not in a CJ5.Of course we did all 4+ trails with Moab rim bring the easiest. I missed out on Helldorado, because I bent a rear spring on Pritchet canyon the day before, and still had to flat tow my Jeep 600 miles to get home. I have thought of many options including Scout's, Comandoe's, and even Bronco's, but I feel a shortbox Toyota would be lighter then any of these. I did take a look at the Toyota today, and it is in pretty good shape. The only problem is a salvage yard is supposed to take it sometime this week, and I wont have time to get it until Saturday, Of course I am always a day late and or a doller short. I wish I knew about it last weekend, but knowing the way salvage yard are around here it will still probably be there.

Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode