Spare tire mount vs Fiberglass tub? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 08:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Spare tire mount vs Fiberglass tub?

I've just finished painting my stock spare tire mounting brackets and swing arm. If all goes well tomorrow , I'll hook it all up on my fiberglass tub. I've made some 1/8 thick iron backing plates about 3.5 inches square for each bracket. Now while I dont foresee a problem with the fiberglass tub wall cracking once I hang the tire on, and then start bouncing it around out on the trail,...,... the thought has crossed my mind it could happen.
Seeing as there is wealth of experience out there to tap into, ,,,,has anyone had trouble with any "cracking" of the tub wall while using the original spare tire mount??

DrummondCJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 07:22 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Spare tire mount vs Fiberglass tub?

it depends on the tub.. i have had many fiberglass tubs, and the quality varys.
the tub i am using right now on my trail rig is from 4wd hardware...very good tub..it has steel channel cast into it around the tailgate (yes, i have a tailgate) specifically so you can mount a carrier to it, and i have my spare 35X16 bogger mounted to it with no problems.. but on my other tub, i wouldn't mount balsa filled with styrofoam

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 11:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You could avoid the problem all together by either buying or making a tire rack that mounts to your bumper so that there is no weight being put on your fiberglass body

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 11:40 AM
Addict

I don't have a tailgate on my glass tub, so I ran a piece of 3" steel channel ('cuz rhar's what I had) accross the back, and tied it into the rear rollbar bases. That support the top of my spare tire mount, and the bottom (4 pieces of 1" square tubing; again, what I had) attaches to the rear crossmember. Last fall I got careless and backed into a tree; it bent the tire mount but that's all it did.

-Dana

Baby oil is NOT made by squeezing dead babies!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 08:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ya, I've seen the spare tire rack that mounts to the bumper, and swings off to the side, in "4wd Hardware" and "Quadratec"... while I have no problem with it, I wanted to mount the stock tire holder....no special reason, other than its the one I've been used to.
Well as you all know, nothing that looks easy is ever easy....(forget which axiom applys) which I quickly discovered once again, when I started to hang the "stock" spare tire holder. its not worth going into,,,but, I understand why the two companies sell the rack that mounts to the bumper.
Maybe if I had a tailgate like Elusive, my stock tire mount would work, but even then I doubt it,,,,and unless I want to do more work than project is worth to me....I think I'll just order the new mounting bracket and be done with it.
Thanks for the advise......

DrummondCJ
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 08:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

well you could also get some square tubing.. like 1 1/2x 1 1/2 and weld that to the back bumper.. and then mount the spare tire mount to them.. just run both tubes straight down to the back of the frame/bumper.. where the original spare tire mount goes.. i have seen this done.. and it looks sweet.. will be doint it to mine next month sometime.. when i get that far..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 01:53 AM

I would also opt for a bumper mounted system. Depending on what size tires you are running even the mounts on a steel body and tailgate arent nearly strong enough. The other consideration is that with a bumper mount you can position the tire up higher and inrease your angle of departure. The wear and tear of a bouncing tire on its mounting bracket are nothing compared to dragging it like plow through a deep gulley. If your wheelin preference is extreme steep and deep terrain then its best to get the tire off the back completely and into the bed, Lower center of gravity, better distrubution of weight, no interference with angle of departure, no damage to the spare or mount in a rollover. Not to many down sides to mounting the spare in the rear of the tub. If you need some mounting ideas I have worked out a pretty good mounting sytem for the rear of the tub. Just another option.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 07:22 AM
Keyboard Implanted

too true h8.. if you notice my trail pics,, i allways have the spare in the back on the hardcore stuff... my daughter doesn't ride on those trails anyway.

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode