Wanting a heater upgrade - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Wanting a heater upgrade

I know its a ways from winter yet, but I need some ideas for a heater upgrade. I've got the chevy heater motor in it now but it wasn't enough last winter. I was wanting to put something in where the console was. Any ideas?

87 wrangler - 258
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 12:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Wanting a heater upgrade

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I thought you would NEVER ask! In our nearly completed SNOJEEP, we made a console riser for the console to sit on top of. The riser tapers from about 7-1/2" high in back to about 2-1/2" in the front. The top of the riser is flat and level. Our "ultimate" console sits on top of the riser. The back end of the riser has an aftermarket box heater, slightly modified, fed from the bottom with the water lines, and blowing forward into the riser cavity. We have outlets on each side toward the front of the riser to heat the floor. The air goes in the back and out the front vents. Our regular heater has the '73 Chevy Blazer heater motor upgrade and will be mainly used for defrost duty.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 12:25 AM

What Chevy heater motor? Will this work in a CJ-7?
Please fill in the rookie...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 12:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dave has one hell of a nice setup. I had talked to him, considered it, blew my money on shotgun accessories and then went looking at the junk yard. My friend has the heater out of a Bus to heat his Jeep. I rode in his Jeep when it was about 45 standing temp with a bad wind. With the windows off and in a soft top with a mile rain, we were comfortable. I sat in the Jeep with the windows on and the soft top zipped I nearly broke a sweat. I was VERY warm and almost uncomfortablely warm. I like it so much I opted to just find the same thing for my jeep. I went to the yards and I found the heater out of a UPS truck to be almost exactly like the heater out of the bus. Just look for a heater with TWO blowers on the back. Remember that if you are going to have this as the only heater, you will have to rig something up for defrost. I have yet to install the heater b/c I just got back from vacation in Alabama and I am being lazy. Good Luck,

PS If you have any questions e-mail me at the house.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Here is the link for the chevy motor upgrade:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/body/heater.html

87 wrangler - 258
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 11:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey CJ dave how about some picture of what ya did.It sounds real interesting, and besides a picture is worth a thousand words

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 11:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey CJ dave how about some picture of what ya did.It sounds real interesting, and besides a picture is worth a thousand words

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 12:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Er.....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]...I was afraid of that....somebody may want to see this custom setup[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] The truth is that we have this big scanner and we STILL cannot get it to work more than once with out the software going away. I'll make a super-human effort this weekend to figure out this scanner even if I have to get a teckky in here. When I get that little problem solved, I can scan in some nice photos of our setup. I warn you.....this will require some real skill in torch-cutting the bottom of the formed console riser to match the floor. We used a "Crab" (a two-legged compass-type marker) that I normally use marking pipe for cutting and welding big elbows and tees[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I still have the seats out and it is easy to see the center of the Jeep. Friday we are doing a Jeep day down in the shop, and we will finish fabbing up the seat belt anchorages, and get some paint on all this stuff.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] What I did was have the riser section pre-formed out of 10 Gauge, in what was basically a formed, flat-topped tunnel. I set it in place and kept marking it with the "crab" and torch-cutting till it finally nestled against our Jeep floorpan, right up the middle. The setup was complicated by the console actually needing to fit UP TO and slightly OVER the B&M center shifter for the TH 400. We copied all the dimensions as to the distance to the shifter...the height of the console(elbow pad)....the distance from the wheel to the front of the console.....right out of our '97 Grand Cherokee. In order to get some more clearance between the seat back and the roll bar covers to get away from all that Sqeeeeeeeking, we scooted the seats inboard a little over an inch per side. That crowds the console pretty closely, but the Cherokee is the same way.....just enough to get the seat belt stems up through there. We used aftermarket belts from JC Whitney......three-point.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode