CJ Driver Side "Hangin Low" - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ Driver Side \"Hangin Low\"

My driver side rear sits lower than the rest of the jeep, if I pull up on the jeep it evens out...I have seen some posts on this "Sag(a)". There was some posts on checking the frame for alignment (measuring the shackle mounts versus ??) Or are there any corrective tricks I can do to even things out?? Maybe a diet??

Thanks

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger (or dumber).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 01:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: CJ Driver Side \"Hangin Low\"

My '83 CJ-7 does the same thing. You can have the frame checked to make sure it's not twisted, but it is most likely old saggy springs. It's time for a lift anyways, isnt it? The diet thing would probably work for me as well as new springs. Maybe 2.5" lift on the right and 4" springs on the left to counter the extra drivers weight? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img](kidding)

Mike H.
<font color=blue>1983 CJ-7 Laredo</font color=blue>
2000 Durango SLT
1983 Dodge Ram (2wd)
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]o[[[[o
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 07:09 PM
jsmith

My 77 CJ is the same way. I just put a new lift on it and it helped somewhat. I still have a slight sag and after further investigation I found that my right rear body bolt is lose. So far I havent been able to tighten it because the bolt plate has broken lose and just spins. In my case I think that if I can tighten the bolt it would level out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 07:48 PM
Can't Get Enough

I think all of the jeeps do that.That must be a flaw in the manufacturing of the jeep. I bought a brand new 1979 CJ-5 and it had a bad "list" (that is boat talk)to the driver's side. When I took it to my dealer he said " No problem we can fix that". Hell, he was the dealer and I was only 17 years old I just figured they would put on a new spring>>>. When I went back to get my jeep it sure was sitting even. When I looked underneath the *******s put a spacer to lower the passenger side. That was the last time my jeep saw the dealer. Warranty or no warranty they did not have a clue. I later found out that is really the only fix for the stock suspension. I put a Rough Country on it anyway later so it was not that big of a deal.That is my $.02...seeya...
P.S. I just put the sound of my engine on my webpage. It takes about 2 minutes to download, but I think it is cool.Too bad I had to de-tune the sound. The site would take a year at the high quality mode. Click the link just under the pic of the engine..

CJ-7,401,T-18,Detroits,etc..
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 08:30 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Its like the old joke: The dealer gets 5 new CJs, 2 lean to the right, 2 lean to the left and one sits straight up.
The first thing the does is call the service manager and tells him to fix that "odd ball" jeep!

My 79 CJ7 has always leaned to the driver's side. Most CJs I have seen do the same thing. Its a jeep thing...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 08:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Another thing you might want to look for is bending of the body tub. My CJ5 didn't have a mounts in the rear drivers corner. I always wondered what the clunk was when i went over bumps. It went on for about 4 months when i owned it, i couldn't tell how many months before me. Well the channel that supports the body and where the body mounts the frame was cracked and the body sagged from the weight. I finally got a piece of tubing and cut it to the width of the tub and bolted it up and the body straightned right away. It sits straight and level now.
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 08:42 PM

New lift and all , mine does the same thing.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

"No officer I haven't been drinking , Thats just how my Jeep drives"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 09:37 PM
Addict

Mine is always passenger side low. I always thought the twist from the driveline caused it.

CJ-8, CJ-6, Cherokee
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 09:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ill be putting a 2.5" lift on in the next month so we'll see what gives?? Anyway I guess I just need to keep giving an upward tug on the rear driver side fender to level er out.....Thanks for the info.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger (or dumber).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode