Help!!! Body Bolt - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 11:05 AM
jsmith

Help!!! Body Bolt

I am unable to tighten the right rear body bolt on my 77 CJ5. The nut plate has come lose inside the frame and just spins when I try to tighten it. It cause the right rear of the jeep to look higher than the left, (it was a great excuse to use for the wife to justify my new suspension lift.) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tighten the bolt without doing any metal cutting. I can't find any way to access the nut plate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 11:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Help!!! Body Bolt

i have the same problem except i have no lift from it....that must be nice.jk. No there is no way to tighten the nut, and that really sucks. i left mine loose like that it is ok for me but you may want to look into doing some cutting. Good Luck!!

Don't Know Much But I Built A Nice Jeep
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 12:12 PM
Robert87yj

Firstly--are you sure that the nut isn't completely stripped out--enought for the bolt to spin freely with little resistance?

You need to create friction between the bolt and the nut. You could try drilling a couple of small holes around the hole for the nut--not very big just enough to get a welder wire or stick in there--spin the bolt until you see the edge of the nut in the hole--pull up on the nut/bolt and weld the nut to the inside of the hole you drilled. That should hold it just enough to tighten it.

OR-- you could cust find something to pull up on the lip of the bolt to pull the nut close enough to the inside wall of the frame to make some friciton so it doesn't turn. Use the friction until you get it tight.--this is the harder of the two methods that I would try. Well harder for me any way. It would use the least modification to your jeep though...

or--if you really wanted to-- you could a hole large enough in the frame to pull the nut out. cut a piece of steel large enough to weld over the hole. drill a hole for the bolt to go through. weld the nut to the plate. weld plate to frame. seems simple enough[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]. I wouldn't use this method on my jeep or any one elses, but it would work.

good luck.

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 12:45 PM

If it is a "plate in a box" mount, the plate may have it's corners rounded off by now or the corners have pushed the box apart or both.
Try the old trick of torch heating the bolt cherry red and letting it cool... this is really effective in breaking loose frozen bolts ..
... penetration oil and undercoating burns - so have a water hose or extingusisher handy ... then....
If the plate has caused the box to bulge, a "C" clamp can be used to close and hold the box together to prevent the plate from spinning.
Try to jam a steel rod, i.e. screwdriver, thin chizel, etc. into the box to try and jam the plate so it won't spin.
You could try to drill a 1/4" hole through the bottom of the box and plate and then put the butt of the bit in these holes to "key" the plate to keep it from rotating.
It may take a combination of the above.
Any of the above methods may cause the box to tear out but if you can't get it out by now it is time for the last resort anyway ...
Last resort is to rebuild/replace the box and/or plate.
Easiest replacement would be to torch the bolt, pull old plate out and replace it with another one (tapped square of steel)and close the box back up - weld if necessary.

A nut inside the FRAME is a whole different story.
I'm sure we will see solutions for this situation posted..
Parts Mike once mentioned a fancy new type of insert that works to fix in-frame skid plate nuts... can't remeber the name of them ...

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 07:14 PM
jsmith

The nut is definitely not stripped, I can hear the nut plate turning inside the frame. I guess I am going to have to drill some holes and see if I can get ahold of it.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 11:02 PM
Enthusiast

Well I had the same problem...If you want to cut 1 hole its a simple fix. I used a hole saw to cut a hole on the back side of the box member a little above the lip were the threaded plate sits. This lets you put something in to wedge against the plate and unscrew it. If its still stuck, cut it off and fish out the piece through the hole.
After that I used a nylon locknut and a few big washers at the top so I know it will never come apart again.
I think it was a 2 3/4" hole saw that I used...

I did the same thing for the body mounts infront of the pass and drivers seat.

You can then get a black plastic plug from a body shop that fits right in the hole, no mess looks fairly clean, and also give you an opening to spray oil into the crossmember to prevent further rusting.

Luke
'77 CJ7 SOA Chevy 327

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode