One More TFI Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 07:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

One More TFI Question

OK, I know that everyone is ready to go to the next subject, but I am a little late. Just as TeamRush posted the info on the Ford TFI coil upgrade I finished my HEI Conversion (with the external coil) http://keith.cj8.tripod.com/hei_upgrade.htm and I am now ready to do the upgrade on my Ford Distributor.

I have a 1985 CJ-8 (the Mighty Eight, thanks hobbs) with an AMC 258, I-6, TF-999 Auto Trans.

Here Goes:

1. The stock ignition wiring uses a 12 volt start and a reduced voltage (via step down resistor) ~9.6 volt run config. I have a 12 volt start and run for my HEI currently. Does the TFI coil need a 12 volt Start / Reduced Voltage Run or a constant 12 volt Start / Run?

2. I live in a Junkyard Deprived and Knowledgable Auto Parts House Deprived part of the country...I need to find the following (we do have a good NAPA store, but I usually have to give them all of the part numbers):
a. The TFI coil electrical connector
b. An additional wiring harness connector for the 4-prong Motorcraft Ignition Module connector

3. What do I need to tell the local parts house guys to get the Mr. Gasket Advance Spring Kit? Nobody around here knows what I am talking about.

Any assistance with local or mail / internet purchasing of these items would be helpful.

Thanks.....Keith

O|||||O
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 11:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need Assistance...One More TFI Question

repost

O|||||O
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 11:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: One More TFI Question

I can help with two of your questions. First, go with the 12V start/reduced voltage run setup. Second, tell the parts guys that you want the Mr. Gasket advance spring kit for '65 and up Ford distributors (as listed in the Jeg's catalog). The Mr. Gasket part number is 925D.

How does the blind man pick up the "Seeing-eye" dogpoop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode