After-oil-change noises - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

After-oil-change noises

I just changed the oil Sunday and drove it today for the first time after I changed it. I used 10W40. The engine has 130,000 miles on it. Before I changed the oil the engine made no knocking or pinging noise, the oil pressure would drop a little bit once it heated up-maybe down to 30. After the oil change the pressure goes up to around 60 and tapers down to 40 when warm. When I got home from work the pressure was down to 30 and the engine was getting a little noisy like it was low on oil. I checked the dipstick and it showed it was about full(this was hot however). I'm running an oil cooler too.

My question is this - the last time I changed the oil the engine did the exact same thing. It sounded like it was low on oil. But it eventually went away(didn't take too long because I don't remember worrying much about it). Am I using the wrong weight of oil? What would be causing it to make noise when the oil is fresh but not when the oil has been used awhile?

87 wrangler - 258
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 07:26 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: After-oil-change noises

My $.02. I've been useing Castrol 10W40. The last time and the time before that time I changed the oil in my wife's van I noticed that the oil pressure is higher(off scale) when the engine is cold. Now I thought that the quality control on the Fram oil filters was going to pot(internal P. bypass valve), but the last time I changed the oil I didn't change the filter(no high P.) and the new oil caused the high pressure. I dunno...maybe try switching brands ,not grades, to see if our problems change or stay the same?? It's either FM of PFM.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 07:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds to me like your lifters are just getting old. Hydraulic Valve lifters use oil pressure to take up slack in the valvetrain. Remember the old beetles? They had solid lifters, which required periodic adjustment of the valve lash. Lash is the extra space left in a valvetrain to compensate fo when the engine heats up and the parts expand. With the advent of hydraulic lifters, adjusting lash is a thing of the past. The lifters themselves take up and give up the extra slack. What you're hearing, I think, is the little lifters clicking around in there, because they aren't full of oil like they should be. When hydraulic lifters get old, they don't stay "pumped up" as well, and sometimes you have to go to a heavier weight oil to keep them pumped up.

Chris Allmond...89YJ/33"/2-3"lift: engine\tranny\rearend swap in future

"Real Jeeps are BUILT... Not Bought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 07:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with everything Chris wrote. And, ...I'll add there are some products out on the market like "Motor Honey" or Bardal's "NO Smoke"...that will really quiet an old motor down..with out harming the engine at all. Just add it in at an oil change, or when your down a Quart or so... I know this stuff works,,,

DrummondCJ
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 10:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey,you hit a nerve,I just had the same thing with my amc 360,when I use a "pureone" oil filter,I also use castrol 10-40,when I changed my filter to a "wix",the noises whent away,I think the purone is to restrictive for the amc's pathetic oiling system.

jsjps
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 11:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 258 loves her "Honey". Not a bad idea for engines with high miles!

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger (or dumber).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode