Arb compressor question: - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Arb compressor question:

I've got my Arb compressor installed and functioning, now a couple questions.

My compressor runs continuously with the locker turned off. I would think that the compressor would build up pressure and shut off. But it only cycles while the locker is activated.

I know a lot of you are running a/c compressors but of the people runnng the Arb compressor, where are you mounting it? I mounted mine under the dash, mainly due to room, but it seems pretty loud being that close to the driver.

Has anyone shortened the harness? I know it seems pretty straight forward, the main thing is getting the solderless connectors (to fit in quick disconnect). I was just wanting to hear from somebody that has done it. Doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.

Lastly, the rocker switches that are supplied seem huge. Has anyone found a smaller, suitable replacement? I was hoping to keep things somewhat hidden, and the big switches see obvious if I mount them in my dash (huge holes).

Thanks in advance.

Quick side note: does anyone know where I can find a wiring/plumbing diagram for wiring an arb with the a/c compressor and an air tank?

IN2DEEP 78 CJ5 302 FORD T176/D300 35" BFGS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 03:13 AM

Re: Arb compressor question:

If the compressor is ruuning constantly when the locker is off(or on) then you have a leak. it sounds like it may be in the solonoid actuated switch at the ARB compressor air reservoir. Spray some soapy water on it while its operating and the leak will give up its location. Hooking up to a AC type compressor would only require a reservoir of some kind, and a regulator on the airline going to the solonoid actuated ARB, the best way is to use an air distribution block(find them at a comercial truck supply). If you need more detailed compressor info, let me know. Shortening the harness, no problem just get new pin connects, cut, solder and reinstall(that harness is definitely long enough). The switches, are pretty big and hard to lacate. I installed a switch housing below the dash, but ive been entertaining the idea of using a steering wheel and collumn with cruise control buttons on the steering wheel and hooking up the arb to one of the steering wheel buttons. Then you would have it right at your finger tips on demand.Some guys are also using air switches available at truck suppliers like Peterbuilt they are smaller but there will be more plumbing. Here is a photo of my switch install, (borrowed my freinds digital camera, its to cool, you can take pics of anything,and cheaper than film cameras) great for technical pictures, I still like film for good action photos.Later,

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-150726-Mvc-006f.jpg (75.1 KB, 0 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 08:15 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I KNOW that the whole world is enamoured with rocker switches, and there ARE some good reasons, no doubt about it.....no protrusions to hit with your knee in a wreck....you can have the indicator lamp right in the switch....you can use gloves easy....just a few. HOWEVER....there are some drawbacks. For example, Jeff has compromised safety by using the panel below the dash.....something to hit his leg in a rollover perhaps....AND, they are the CRABS to install.....huge holes, filed by hand...and in the future, what if the same switch isn't available to fit that exact hole size? Why not use a MARINE GRADE push-pull with the big knob? Safe in a roll; TONS of capacity; and easy to install. I can drill for the push-pull AND an indicator lamp above it in a lot less time than it takes to file out a rectangular hole. Jeff's idea of a column-mounted switch is a good one, and to make it less obtrusive, you could use a puny one on the column or wheel, and it can energize a relay to pull in the compressor or solenoid.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 08:13 PM

Come on Dave, what could possibly happen to cause a roll over? HaHaha. i know what you mean about the rocker switches I dont like them at all. Thats why I built a seperate switch housing, because I didnt what to hack holes that big into the dash, at least now if I use different switches I can just replace the aluminum front plate of the switch housing and reconfigure. It waqs only supposed to be an iterim install, but it works so its been that way for over a year. Something pretty much has to break to move to the front of the Jeep project list nowadays. As far as the steering wheel design I want to incorporate the ARB actuation switch itergrated into the cruise control switch in the wheel. The compressor switch would still be dash mounted however.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode