Drivetrains - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 08:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Drivetrains

Anyone have any input about a 350 Chevy engine, a 350 Turbohydramatic, and a NP 205 transfer case for a 1974 CJ5? I have accumulated most of the components and have heard from some that I am crazy to replace my original components. I am open to any input from anyone that has any advice to give. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 08:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Drivetrains

I would go right ahead if I were you I had a chevy blazer with the equipment you listed I put 225,000 on it befor the speedometer broke after which point I drove it for about 2 more years putting it up to about 275,000 and then I sold it to a guy who is still using it

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 09:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

length? what are you planning to use for a rear drive shaft?
your stock drive shaft is about 18" collapsed. the turbo 350 is 6" longer than the 3speed manual, the 205 is how much longer than the stock dana 20? I really don't think you will have the room to do it.
the tubo 350 with a dana 20 will work, but you might need to eliminate the fan and move the engine forward, as close to the radiator as possible.
good luck, jjc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 02:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

350, 350, and 205 is a very strong combination, currently running same in a 74 K20 4x4. However, I agree with jjc as it is a pretty long combination. Measure first.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 02:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with the above posts, LENGTH is you biggest problem. Jeep never put an auto in the early CJ5's because the were way too long. You MIGHT get by using you dana 20 mated to the TH350 and moving that SB350 all the way forward. Chances are you will end up with around 11" drive shaft that way. If you are dead set on using that V8 find a 4 speed. A SB 350 sm435 and a NP205 could fit also. How about a 4.3L V6 mated to the TH350 and NP205. The 4.3L is a good engine from what I've heard/read. I run a SB 350, T-18 4speed and a scout Dana 300 (same length as dana 20) in my CJ3B (~80" wheel base) and my drive shaft is 15.5". I'd hate to get much shorter!

My name is Ted, and I'm a Jeep-a-holic. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 08:26 PM

Checkout the July issue of 4WHEEL Drive and suv mag. They did a write up on a 304/904 automatic/dana 20 in a CJ5. They had to move the motor forward 2" and redrill the rear axle perches to move the rear bach 3/4". This gave them a 13.5" rear cv driveline.

C-Ya.....................kh
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 01:23 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I have the SM465 and NP205 in my Scrambler, and I can it'd be a little long for a CJ-5. The adapter between the two is quite long, and it's 3.5" longer than the stock SR-4/D300 setup.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode