Wag. D44 conversion to 5 lug... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Wag. D44 conversion to 5 lug...

ok.. this is just on note on it.. i know others on this board who were going this route.. and wanted to share some problems i have run into..
1. Changing it over to 5 on 5 and half.. for use with a D60-2 (which has this already)

2. Idea was.. put different outer axle shafts on it.. new spindles.. rotors and hubs..

2A. Was going to use D30 parts.. have plenty laying around.. and knew they were the same as scout D44's..

3. Problem is.. the U-Joints in the axle shafts are different... D44 being bigger than the cj D30

3A. Solution #1- Use a u-joint conversion.. where one side of the u-joint is bigger than the other.. mostly used in driveshafts.. NO CAN DO!!! dont make any u joints that will work.. atleast not that i could find.

3B. Solution #2- Get outer axle shaft off a scout dana 44.. since it will work with Dana 30 spindles, rotors and hubs..

3C. Solution #3- Get outer axle shafts from warn.. for a scout d44.. $$$

3D. Solution #4- Get a whole D44 out of the junkyard from a Ford 1/2 ton, or Dodge 1/2 ton front.. this gives you an whole axle with shafts, spindles, hubs, and rotors to use... also comes with inter spline hubs.. (the good ones)

just some things i am running into now.. i know a guy with scout outers.. so will talk with him on a price.. and will call the boneyards for price on a axle..

i am thinking of going with the whole axle since i will some spare parts then.. and better hubs..

any other ideals would be appreciated..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 07:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Wag. D44 conversion to 5 lug...

jeepgod, maybe I'm mistaken but I thought it was possible to use the whole outer knuckle assembly from the D30 and use the 44 inner and outer axles.
Bob

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

no can do.. the outer D44 shafts from the wagoneer are waay to long.. and wrong spline count.. dont have to change out the knuckles.. just the spindles out.. atleast that is what i am trying to do.. alittle easier..
i am not sure what other d44 outer shafts would work.. besides the scout, ford, and dodge... i know the scouts will work with the d30 stuff.. not sure on the others..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 07:28 PM
FlMudCJ

DO NOT GET A FORD D44!!!

I have just put a J-10 (wagoneer) into my 77 CJ. I ran into so many problems with it, Ugh...

List of problems as I can recall them:
J-10 /GM caliper banjo bolts. near imposible to find.
Conversion to 5-lug - need to find GM spindle, Ford rotors and hubs, warn premium hubs, need to put spindle outside of caliper mounting bracket, tie rod interferes with Droped pitman arm, pitman arm to drag link connection, etc.etc.etc

but it was worth it to get 14" of width... =) now onto welding in that 9"

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 07:30 PM
Addict

You can use Ford hubs. What I did for my high steer set up is I used the flat top Chevy steering arms, Chevy small bearing spindles, then Ford hub and rotor. Then I used the Chevy brake set up. It works beautifully.

So it depends how concerned you are about your steering set up. You could just use all Ford knuckle out. This is what I tried, but it interfered with the springs. (SUA) If you are SOA, and don't mind the tie rod under the springs, that would be the easiest.

CJ-8, CJ-6, Cherokee
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

im not worried about the steering.. can fabricate something.. was even thinking of useing the ford steering.. but what about that chevy short spindle? you said you used with the ford hub and rotor? what hub? wondering if i get one.. if i could use it with the D30 hub and rotor? since i have tons of them around here.. do you have the bearing part number on that? or just what ford hub.. year and model.. i can research from there.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 06:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You will need the spindle off of a 76 or earlier chevy.Not real sure which year the ford rotors are, but I have the same set up with the chevy brakes and it works great.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 12:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've been looking into the dana 44 up front for some time. Here's my $0.02.
Stay away form the Scout stuff. At first it seemed to be the easiest way to go. However, replacement parts are hard to find and expensive.You want the internal locking hubs. Much stronger than the bolt on type---no more loose bolts or stud kits. I found the convertion info for Dana 44 drum to disk at some Broncho sites http:// www.broncohq.com/rmtr-frontdiskconversion.html http:// http://www.bronco.com/tech/upgrades/...kes/index.html Changing from 6 lug to five would be the same process. Just swap spindles out. You can start with a Jeep Wagoneer/Cherokee dana 44 or chevy/ford if you really want. I'd start with the jeep because you only have to shorten one side to get it to fit under a CJ widetrack. (see http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/cjaxleupgrade.htm I stuck the spindles and rotors on the jeep Dana 44 and used the jeep brake calipers/caliper mounts. Jeep dana 44 brake hardware in the same as chevy 44. however jeep used a larger bearing in the front hubs. Chevy and Ford stayed with the smalller one thats why it all fits. Its all dana 44 stuff.

Prices:
chevy spindles, junk yard, '74 pick-up $25
ford hub/rotors/bearings, '81 pick-up (f150 with twin-beam), junk yard $30
1 new ford rotor (couldn't turn one again), autozone, $40
Jeep wagie front end, complete, junkyard, $65
Cut/respline inner axle, moser, $50
Spring perches, confer, $20
Shorten Axle housing, ???,???, haven't got there yet but I plan on doing it myself.....

I know I should have got new bearings/seals, calipers and brake pads, but I wanted to see if it all went together first. A custom dana 44 for a CJ for less than $250 bucks! Dynatrac can bite me! Of course I could have spent the extra $100 and got the above mentioned new parts and I still need to change the gears. Call it $600, dynatrac can still bite me!

My name is Ted, and I'm a Jeep-a-holic. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

ok.. here's a question.. why do you all use the chevy spindles? if you use the ford hub, cant you just use the ford spindle also? and this ford hub works with the stock wagoneer outer axle shafts? mine is from a 1978 wagoneer.
thanks for this info.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 01:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Post deleted by elusive

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode