Testing cat converter on jeep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 04:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Testing cat converter on jeep

I have a 95 yj 2.5l automatic. I noticed there is a TSB out about bad cat converters for this year. The Jeep seems to run pretty well considering engine/trans/31" tires. Under hard acceleration it doesn't have a lot of 'oomph' and was just curious how one goes about checking a cat converter. I know if you hit it and it makes noise the cat is loose inside. That's not the case. I just wonder if there is a way to check for blockage besides cutting it off and looking into it such as specific vaccuum readings or something?

This week I'm having the gears upgraded from 3.73 to 4.56 so that should make a huge difference on felt power. Hope it's not too much gear change though, need to still be able to drive 45 well around town =)

Thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 05:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Testing cat converter on jeep

I have a 95 YJ set up like yours. My converter rattled an when I took it to Midas to be fixed, I found out that the EPA will make the dealer install a new one up to 80,000 miles for FREE. I bought my Jeep used from a Jeep dealer and he takes all of them to an exhaust shop for the fix. Call your local Jeep dealer, make an appointment, and see what happens. This is included in the manual that came with my jeep. Good Luck and let me know!
Gary
95 YJ, K+N, I4 31" BFG's.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 05:32 PM
Way Outta Control

The easy way:

Pull the O2 sensor from the manifold... and test out the Jeep. If there is any backpressure increased by a clogged Cat Converter, it's gone now. Your perfomance should increase. Once you've done your test, reinstall the 02 sensor.

Good Jeepin'

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast

I called Chrysler to check the recall status of my Jeeps. My 90 YJ had a recall on brake rotors and and my 95 YJ had a recall on the cat. I think the number is 800-992-1997 (Chrysler Customer Center).

jerry

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 07:52 PM
Can't Get Enough

A basic tule of thumb is no more than 2 lbs. of backpressure in the exhaust. You can easily test it at the oxygen sensor hole using a fuel pressure guage and a rubber adapter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode