Troubles on the Way to Camping - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 04:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Troubles on the Way to Camping

So i went to the Ocala National Forest this weekend and on the way to ocala from my friends house i noticed an abnormal amount of smoke. Now, the jeep was smoking whenever i would really get on it, and i have never had smoke like this before. I also notice about 20 miles down the road much more smoke all the time and a huge lack in horsepower. Then about 4 hours later of setting up camp i checked the radiator for oil and it was low. So i am guessing when i change my oil i am going to find all of that dissapearing radiator fluid.I have many questions if you guys would mind maybe answering a few for me. Is it the head gasket? If not what the heak is it? If yes if i buy new heads will i have to retune my holley 600 like i have been told i will? And will i notice a huge difference in HP's? And can i take this job on myself? What do you smart guys think? Thanks a lot for your help. By the way it is a 304, thought that might be of good use for you to know.

Don't Know Much But I Built A Nice Jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 04:41 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Troubles on the Way to Camping

Welcome to the board and sorry about the mishap.

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Then about 4 hours later of setting up camp i checked the radiator for oil and it was low.

<hr></blockquote>

Radiator low on oil? Did you add some when you realized it was low?

Sorry, couldn't resist...

What color smoke was it? My guess is bright white. White means you're burning water, blue means burning oil, and black means a rich fuel mixture. If you started losing power, it's a bad thing. The first thing you should do is pull your plugs, and whatever you do, don't drive it. Look at the plugs to determine where the leak is, it might just be a bad head gasket, they go all the time. Of course, if you drove it for a long time (ie: 4 hours), you might have cracked the head by then. You can check the base for water simply by pulling the oil dipstick, if it comes out looking like brown milk chocolate, it's not a good thing, means water in the base. It should be golden brown when new and jet black when used. If there are any white streaks in it (after it's been sitting), it's also water. Your base may not necessarily have any water in it, since you noticed it in the smoke I don't think you'll find much, if any. I'm also willing to bet, since you didn't notice it before, it just happened, so when fixed, you should regain your original horsepower back. As to doing it yourself, I'm not sure, have you done anything similar with an engine before? I'd tackle it, but then I've seen a ton of them done. Now if it were on my '95 Trooper (which it happened on BTW), not on your life, too much to mess up. It's relatively simple (as compared to understanding the working of the Quadratrac system), but I'd have someone else standing by to give you a hand if this is your first time, they'll show you what to look for.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 04:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I meant i checked the radiator to see if there was oil mixed in with the fluid. Thanks for the help, i will check those things and let you know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 05:52 PM
Robert87yj

Check the oil at the dip stick. Does it look normal or milky with maybe some bubbles?

Knowing this would help identify the problem.
Head gaskets aren't too hard on 304's. I just helped a friend change both of his about 2 months ago. Not a big deal--it only took a full day if you count breakfast at Waffle House, grilling out for lunch and Waffle House for dinner.. We also changed the exaust manifold gaskets while we were at it. If you do this make sure to get fel-pro gaskets. The fel-pro gaskets didn't need to be retorqued.

Good luck.

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI</font color=blue>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 06:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have headers are these going to be a huge pain to get off. the dip stick looks like new oil i do no think it is soupy, is there any other way to tell what the exact problem is.

Thanks for your help/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode