Cheap way to keep cool - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Cheap way to keep cool

My '84 CJ-7 (4.2) currently has a 165 thermostat in it, a heavy duty radiator, and a stock fan. I have no shroud. I took it out on the beach for the first time this year (weather was about 90 degrees), and the temp got me a bit nervous. It hit the higher point of "safe" within two miles. I would like to know if I can put a pusher style fan on the front of the radiator (or puller, which ever one is blowing towards the engine), which will be on a toggle switch. Can I do this in conjuction with the stock fan? Also, if I go to the junk yard, are there any particular vehicles that I should be looking for to get the fan off of? Any other tips to keep cool are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 04:49 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Cheap way to keep cool

Sounds like your fan shroud is the problem. The shroud acts like a funnel and is able to move the air away from the radiator faster, thus more effectively cooling it down. Most people I have seen run without one complain about the high temperatures, putting them back on usually cures it. Do a search on "fan shroud" and you'll find quite a lot on the subject. Good luck.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 08:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would say the shroud (or lack of one!) is probably your problem. You may also want to check out your fan clutch.
Later......Herbie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 09:18 PM

Both of the above replies are on the money.
#1 Put a shroud on it
#2 Buy a good (thermostatic not centrifical) fan clutch {that means the $$$$ one}
#3 give up on the pusher fan......... you won't need one if the cooling system is working properly

The 258 is a fairly cool running engine and will do just fine in stock (or close to) form with a good rad and clutch (re: good one) fan.

"No officer I haven't been drinking , Thats just how my Jeep drives"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 09:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

mmm.. never had a problem running hot.. i had a 258, no shroud, stock fan, 180 thermo, and i had so much stuff in my jeep.. a mouse couldnt fit in it.. since i was transferring out to the east coast.. and i drove thru the desert.. no problems.. i would check that thermostat.. did you replace your water pump? some water pumps have the fins running the opposite way.. forget the years.. but i got one once at a parts store.. got home.. thru it on.. and yep too hot.. take it off.. fins the wrong way.. a 258 should keep itself cool with out the shroud.. how many core radiator you have? i had a 3 core.. i lived in cali.. ran death valley.. 4 hours.. at 70 mph.. 115 degrees.. no overheating.. and like i said.. no shroud.. i would replace that thermostat first..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode