Single or dual batteries...adding winch? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 01:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Single or dual batteries...adding winch?

I am adding a Warn 9000i winch to my CJ5 and currently have an old tired battery. When I fix my battery problem, should I go ahead and upgrade to dual batteries, or is one really enough. My winch will be used to occasionally get out of mud. No big time winching plans, just the occasional need to get unstuck. If dual batteries are in order, which controllers are best. Which battery should I go with whether one or two? Thanks for the help.

Happy Jeeping! George

'72 CJ5 V8 304 3Spd...pretty much stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 03:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Single or dual batteries...adding winch?

Really, honestly, one battery should suffice for some slight winching. It should also suffice for normal use. But that should is a very precarious word. How many times have you seen people getting jump starts. If you want to do it right, for winching and/or normal use, you really should have two batteries, completely isolated. Do a search for dual battery on the bbs, and you'll find the super-duper, easy to home-do twin battery isolator. Just fab a dual battery tray, buy your second battery, and buy a few parts. The commercial dual battery isolators come in two varieties: cheesy and expensive. The cheesy ones have no switching or anything and are a crappy design. The expensive ones work great (like the wrangler power thingy), but can be duplicated at home for very little money. Buy a few feet of good cable, a $20 constant hold solenoid, a few switches and some wire, and you're set. Here's a view of the setup devised by our resident battery gurus...
http://geocities.com/austnjpr/dualbattery.html

Thought in middle of modifications: "Maybe AMC did it right the first time...Naah."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 10:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think I would use one good battery like an Optima or the Exide NASCAR select orbital. Acctually the Exide orbital has been around a few more years then the Optima, just not in the US, I believe it had something to do about patents. Most of the time you just have to winch your self a couple of feet to get unstuck, so a single battery with a 94 amp alternater is more than enough, and withall of my underhood add ons I don't have room for another battery, and I don't want to carry an extra 50# on my Jeep.

Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 10:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>What is a self start override switch? I assume I find one at the local electic store?
And what about 2/0 fine welding cable? haven't started my welding class quite yet...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 02:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The self-start override switch is just a push button that momentarily engages the "isolated" battery and uses it to help crank your jeep after your little nephew Faultleroy left the lights on and the main battery is on it's butt. 2/0 welding cable is just that.....cable that you would use on an electric welder to run to the ground clamp or to the electrode holder. 2/0 means that it is BIG....like wire sizes go in reverse for size...a #8 wire is bigger than a #10....and when they got down to zero, they had to keep going so they went to DOUBLE zero, or 2/0....TWO-OTT wire. Welding supply stores can make up custom leads for a dual battery setup that are SUPER conductors because they are very fine strands, and you remember from electric class that current is carried on the outside of the wire and with fine stranded wire, you have a lot more outsides to work with.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 02:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks everybody for the information. I read all of the old posts on this subject as well. Now I have what I need to make a decision. Right now, I am leaning toward one battery, but will think about it a little longer before deciding. Great forum. Thanks again.

Happy Jeeping. George

'72 CJ5 V8 304 3Spd...pretty much stock
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 11:12 PM
Enthusiast

As a side note, after using welding cable for all my battery hook ups I would highly recomend it.
-Its more flexable
-finer strand
-high temp/thick insulation
-easier to work with
-you can make up what every lengths you want
and #1 it was cheaper

Luke

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 06:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Er.....ah...."CJR" just posted to me on e-mail and reminded me that the border effect(skin effect) goes to zero when the circuit is "DC".....the frequency is zero....so the welding cable is only actually a benefit due to the high CROSS-SECTIONAL AREA that it has. A high number of strands; while convenient for movement; are not a factor in carrying current in a DC circuit. Thanks, "CJR" for getting that straightened out![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 08:46 AM

Dave-
None the less, I learned something about wire conductivity, Dave!
Now I know a little more why my "mad Russian scientist" customer is having me custom order 99.99% pure silver wire in such impossably small (.008") diameters for his electronic gizmos.
The (AC) sterio audiophiles would sure love to get their hands of some of this stuff to make up thier speaker wires!

Anyway, I am facing the same dual or single battery struggle and still have not made up my mind. I think I will wait till I install my AC and take a good look at how much room there is left over after installing the hoses.
I keep seeing warnings from dual tray manufacturers that they interfere with the stock, 258 AC hose setup .... hummm .....

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 09:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I fabbed a dual tray and it was very close to the heater hoses but there was room for the tray. i always get worried about crossing to ground on the terminals when tightening/loosening. Does anyone have a sure fire way of working around those positives with a wrench that does not contact the body or the grill support struts?
FYI, I had a conversation with premierpowerwelder....he made a very good recommendation concerning increasing the output of your alternator. Put a smaller pulley on it, will result in more rpms which is good and while at idle will help recharge the battery faster. don't nec. need to get the higher amp alt. I don't know what the actuall increase would be. Any ideas on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode