258 carb replacement question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

258 carb replacement question

I have a 78 cj-5 with 258 I-6 and the carter yf 1 barrel carb. I want to replace this piece with a 2 barrel manual choke carb. What cfm flow does this engine require-it is stock. The webber is an option but costs $350. I was re-reading the Jeep owners bible by Moses Ludel and he recommends using the Holley 2300 series carbs. One is a 350 cfm and the other is a 500 cfm. Which one would be better matched to the 258's needs. Also what type of float bowls are better for general off roading -side hung or center hung. The holley carb is about $150 cheaper than the webber. Has anyone experianced any problems with their Webber carbs while off roading such as flooding etc? Any other carb recommendations from other manufacturers? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 05:50 PM
JMZ
Journeyman

Re: 258 carb replacement question

Webber is the BOMB !

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 08:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why dont you try an early Carter BBD 2 brl. One without the stepper motor. I think it was on 258's up to about '83. I tryed The Weber and had nothing but probs. The non computer controlled BBD works great. Just not sure if it will fit on your intake???
Good luck........Herbie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 01:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a friend that had the weber and nothing but problems for a year until he yanked it and threw on a holley. I have a holley 350 cfm two barrel from summit racing and I love it. It is easy to tune which means if gas keeps going up, I lean it out a bit or richen it up if I need more power. I run an adapter plate with the stock intake and contrary to popular belief it runs great. Go with the holley and a HEI. You will love it.

Tim 85 CJ-7 2.5 Skyjacker, 2 inch body, Herculiner, Holley carb, 32 Dunlop Muds, HEI
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 08:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mostly for CJBUDDA - Adaptor plate from Summitt also? Carb and plate part numbers? Thanks

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 02:54 PM

I run a Weber 38 and have no real problems with it. I even ran it for a few months without an air filter while I was rigging up the snorkel adapters. The jets are way easy to clean out and that is the only thing that seems to clog. I also have an HEI on my 258

Just bought a DJ-5C! Sliding doors and right-hand drive are cool [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 04:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I actually have had boh. Right now I have the Weber. Dang good carb. I replaced the 500cfm 2300 Holey, because I couldn't pass emmisions. The Weber is so much more stable off-road, but it is less tunable. I have the holley in my garag right now with the adapter plate. E-mail me if you want to talk about buying it.
[email protected]
Ed

I live, I breath, I Jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode