Warn Hub Problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Warn Hub Problem

After finally putting the CJ-8 together, I ventured up into the high country to see if it works. Well it didn't. I could not get the hubs to lock in. I had previously tested them while still on jack stands, and they worked fine.

So I came back down off the mountain, and put the thing up on jack stands. They would lock up about 80% of the time. I just kept working them in and out and they seemed to improve. I did this until they worked every time.

Is there some sort of break in with these things? I have never had a hub fail to engage before. Now the passenger's side clicks when engaged and moving. Did I get a defective set?

CJ-8, CJ-6, Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 05:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Warn Hub Problem

hey bob, did you pack them full of grease? they really don't like that. i usually spray some CLP in mine... it's a military acronym for clean,lubricant, protectant..it's a teflon based lube, it sticks in there a long time and repels water well, and makes ll the little parts work perfect! also, check the gear that goes on the outer axle shaft, it can be put in backwards and cause what you are saying

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 06:12 AM
I Do This For The Glory

You should use just a skim coat of grease, just enough to keep things lubed. I also pour in a little ATF, in fact, I have run the hubs on ATF alone. It sloshes around and keeps everything wet and lubed, even in the coldest conditions. My 1978 (original) hubs still move like new, really ticks my older brother off because all of his stick on a regular basis. I'd pull them off, clean them up, and go from there. There probably isn't anything wrong, just lube them and you're set.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Addict

They were new and the instructions say not to put anything on them, as they were lubed at the factory.

CJ-8, CJ-6, Cherokee
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 05:41 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I'd pull them out then, there may be something else wrong. Usually there's no break in period, never heard of a set of hubs doing that. It could be that whatever grease they put on them was causing the problem though, at least that's what it sounds like to me. They're working fine now?

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 06:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

first question i have to ask is which hubs do you have? 5bolt, 6bolt, or the internal conversion. each can have some minor things to look for, but i ned to know which you have to help.

dan
<font color=blue>Good things come to those who do research!!</font color=blue>

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Addict

They are 6 bolt. They are for a Ford pickup. I am using Ford hubs on my 44 front axle to keep the 5 on 5-1/2.

When you remove the cap, you can push them right in, except if the splines are not lined up. Then usually, when the tire is rotated it will click into place. Sometimes, they stay hung up.

CJ-8, CJ-6, Cherokee
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 07:53 PM

Bob, keep us posted if you find anything. I just got mine in the mail today and plan to install them this weekend. I also noticed that the directions clearly say not to grease because they were geased at the factory.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
JK
O|||O
78CJ5 360
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 08:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

check and make sure the spring in the cap was not damaged, as well as the dial screw and plate are working (that when you turn the dial the spring moves up and down). if the sliding gear is hanging up, either their is a little too much grease, or maybe a small burr on one of the gears. you should be able to look and see if there is. another problem i have seen is if the stub shaft support bearing in the spindle is worn, the stub shaft will be sloppy causing a light bind in the locking hub (more so with a new hub as it has not worn or loosened up). the only other thing that i know to look for is to check the spring under the sliding gear to make sure it is not damaged or in a bind not allowing the hub to fully engage.

dan

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 12:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

bob, just wondering how did the hubs turn out?

dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode