Projection- who likes it, who hates it? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Projection- who likes it, who hates it?

Well, I'm sick and damn tired of the flooding carb on my old 304 and am ready to upgrade to FI. I have a friend that runs the projection and swears by it. (die hard carb man before he put it on the 360 in his CJ). Just wondering what you guys think about it. Summit and Jeg's has the best price I'v found. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 09:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Projection- who likes it, who hates it?

I went wheeling with a guy a couple weeks ago, has a 350 with Holley Pro-jection. Real nice setup, adjustable, tunable, and best of all he picked up his used for 200 bucks!

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 10:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a friend that has a 350 in his 78cj7 and he use to have all kinds of problems with his quad and he lucked up
and found one for $250. When he put his on it made a world of difference once he got it all adjusted right but there was nothing to it. I can not be that lucky to find one that cheep but thats the way to go.

Robin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 04:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what kind of prices are you looking at? I also want to put on FI, but I've seen nothing but high, high, prices.

John
89YJ-350V8,etc.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 06:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Installed holley pro-jection 2D open loop system on my 360. I am using it with headers, edelbrock performer intake, and wolverine (crane) cam. I have not had it off-road yet, and have only driven it about 10 miles or so. In that 10 miles I tuned the system, and WWWHHHHOOOOAAAAA. I have never felt power like that in my jeep. Now, I was running a 304 with 600 cfm edelbrock carb before, with the headers, and the performer intake, and that engine was NOTHING compared to this, especially for low-end torque. It actually is much easier to tune than a carb (for me anyways) I am very pleased. The only problem I had was that the fuel pump was bad when I got it. They replaced it in a couple days (summit racing) and it is operational again. Additionally a friend of mine installed it on his 76 ford F150 with a Ford 360, and we wheeled the Badlands with it last weekend. The pro-jection did not burp, stall or kill the engine even once. I was extremely impressed. We wheeled some very tight and steep trails (really tight, especially with a full size) and the injection just kept chugging along. The same exact truck was constantly flooding last year with a brand new 600 cfm holley 4 barrel.

A word of advice. If you install the pro-jection system. Get an inline fuel pressure gauge that is mounted on the feed line. This way you can tune, as well as troubleshoot confidently. It will also let you know when a filter is clogged.

If you find it cheap used, then you might want to consider it, but personally I like the 1 year warranty from holley. I am always a little leary of buying electronic parts used too. I got mine from Summit Racing, and it was $700 shipped.

Jesse

What does not kill my wallet, will still make me poorer.
AOL Instant Messager: jessemyers
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 10:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How hard was the holley pro-jection 2d to install? Does it cost alot for installation?

John
89YJ-350V8,etc.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 11:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I bought the system new for $700 from summit racing. The kit had everyting I could possably need to do the installation. I already had the 4 barrel edelbrock manifold on the engine, so this made the installation easier. If you do not have the a 4 barrel manifold, then that needs to be installed too, which makes things more difficult. The toughest part of the installation was making a small skid plate for the fuel pump, whcih needs to be mounted below the fuel tank. I already had suffiecient fuel lines installed too. The kit recommends 3/8 hard lines if i recall correcly, for the feed and at least 5/16 for the return line. With those issues aside, it is simply a job where you install the supplied adapterand throttle bracket, throttle body, ecu, and temp sensor. The wiring harness is pretty much self contained. A couple of ground wires have to be connected to the chassis, a power lead fromthe battery must be supplied, as well as a tab into a switched power source in the steering column. Other than that it is plug in. I am very happy with the kits completeness, and instructions. Once installed the tuning is not that bad. All you need that's out of the ordinary( and you might already have), and not supplied are a volt meter, and an inline fuel pressure gauge. If you have any other questions, let me know. The price was high on the system, but once you are passed that, the system is awesome for off-road, and you will never, ever have to worry about an off-camber flood or starvation in the fuel system. The tremendous throttle response takes some time to get used to, but I am sure you will be able to deal with it

jesse

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 03:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've read your postings and wonder that you didn't have ANY problems with the projection. I've installed one (1D) on my 258 3 weeks ago. Runs verry good when the engine is warm (operating temp.) or cold, but got a lot problems when cranking the warm engine( i.e. stopping for 5 min. ). The engine will start within a reasonable time (1-2 sec) but after about 5 sec. the idle solenoid releases and the engine starts running very rough and sometime stalls itself. Also no or almost no power is available when pressing the throtle. After abouit 10-30 sec it runs normal again.
Do you have any ideas???
BTW installation was pretty easy and the kit is a really complete easy bolt on.
I expected a little more power and torque gaint but throtle response is great.
Oliver

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 06:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You said that when the engine is warm, that the fast idle solenoid engages? It should only engage when the engine is cold. The solenoid is not strong enough to move the throttle linkage itself, so it works when you press the gas pedal before cranking. The solenoid will hold open the throttle linkage, until the coolant signal tells it the engine is warm. Try warm starting it next time, without pressing the gas at all. If the engine is cold, then you have to deliver a "pump shot" to wet the manifold, and activate the fast idle solenoid. When it is warm like that the throottle body's normal gas shot should fire up the engine, and not engage the fast idle solenoid. Another possability is the fuel pressure. Do you have a gauge?

Is it possable you are experiencing a vapor lock condition? Also, make sure the coolant temp. sender is mounted in a good coolant runner in the intake. a friend tried to install his in his radiator line, and this messed the reading up, and made his a readl bear to try and get tuned, before he figured out what the problme was, and moved the temp sender.

Jesse

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 07:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The temp. sensor is mounted in the mainfold (water heated) where the vacum solinoid was before - should be a good place in the inner water circle. Also checked the fuel pressure once - it was about 14 - 15 psi.
When starting warm I just tipped the throttle to make the solinoid engaging. Mabye this caused the problem, I'll try next time.
Thanks by now, I'll keep you informed
Oliver

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode