Front Speaker replacement help, PLEASE - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 02:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Front Speaker replacement help, PLEASE

I have a '95 Wrangler and I have been doing some interior work on it. I have replaced the stereo and soundbar speakers with no problems at all. Admittedly, there isn't much room behind the dash to work on the stereo, but who really needs skin on their knuckles anyway?

Now, I want to replace the front speakers. I pulled the hinge bolt and the three plate screws from the grill area and discovered that the metal plate that acts as grill over these speakers is attached along the bottom all the way across the Jeep. Does this piece go all the way up to the windshield? Am I looking at dissembling the entire instrument panel and dash just to replace two flushmount speakers?

Please tell me this isn't so.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 02:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Front Speaker replacement help, PLEASE

<font color=blue>No, you just have to lay upside down in the jeep, and shove your hands behind the dash. No need to take anything off.... The bolts are on the back. If I remember correctly, the stock "nuts" are nothing more than a small piece of sliced metal. You might be able to cut them off with some wire snips... Good luck.

Personally, I'd bay Circut City $20.00 to install them. It's a BIT*H! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 05:21 PM

I'm not sure if your Wrangler is the same as my CJ, but it really isn't too hard to do. You really have to be patient when doing this becuase it can get very frustrating. There are four nuts on each speaker that you have to unscrew. Passenger side isn't too hard. If you can, pull your head unit out to get to the lower left nut. Driver's side is a little trickier. I unbolted my e-brake to get at everything. Little hands are a plus on this side. I had to use a screwdriver to hold a bunch of wires out of the way to get speaker in and out, but overall it wasn't too bad. For some reason on the passenger side my tweeter was touching the grill so I stacked a couple washers between the speaker and grill on each bolt to back the speaker up.

What speakers are you putting in? I got Polk 5 1/4's from crutchfield for pretty cheap. I didn't want to put too much money into something that will problably get wet sooner or later. Good luck!

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 05:38 PM
Enthusiast

If you fold the windshield down, you can remove enough srews to pull the dash out a little to get clearence for speaker replacement. After I did mine, I read the service manual that said to unbolt the emergency brake to get clearence on the drivers side (passenger side already has enough clearence). Some people has posted that this still doesn't give you enough clearence, I haven't tried it yet.

The speakers I installed weren't flush, the tweeter in the middle stuck out a little. I made some standoffs with some vacuum hose. After I put it back together, I had the idea of replacing the nuts that hold the speakers in with short pieces of vacuum hose that would fit tight over the speaker bolts. Take 1/4" or so of rubber tubing and use it as a "nut", push it on and pull it off if you need to replace the speakers. Next time I have it apart I going to try it.

jerry

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 05:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the input.

I bought a pair of Inifinity 4X6 4622's. They have a trilaminate polycarb cone with seperate ceramic tweeter. Very sweet little pair of speakers. I put Rockford Fosgate Punch's in the soundbar.

Well, I have skin left on one knuckle and only one speaker removed now. None installed.

So, I called Best Buy and they said at least $46 to get into the Jeep plus hours.

Called Circuit City and they said $25 - flat rate. No hours. So, we have an appointment tomorrow afternoon.

I hate giving up, but since I don't have a set of miniature driver extensions with 6 joints in them nor tiny hands, it looks like a better plan.

I just hate not being able to do something this simple.

Reminds me of when I put on the 31" tires. I didn't want to give up the third brake light. I asked a buddy what he did for his. He had gone to a machine shop and had a riser built for some ungodly amount of money. I went to Lowe's and bought $3 worth of PVC, cut sleeves for the bolts and "voila" - done. Fifteen minutes work and $3 in parts.

Now I can't change a @#$#%ing speaker.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 06:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I bought the speakers on sale. Last year's model. $58 for a pair of $169 speakers. Hah!

The little Rock/Fos set me back more than that.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 06:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>I changed the first pair of 4x5's myself: took about 10 hours (well, it felt like 10 hours)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]... Once I installed them, they freaking blew! If you figure it takes you 4 hours to do install them, on a WEEKEND and multiply 4 by your hourly rate, you'll see that it os much cheaper for Circut City to do it! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Once they blew, I had Good Guys install them. The guy told me when he was done, "I will NEVER change the front speakers in another Jeep, EVER.."[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That's why they cost so much to install, they don't want to!

Hint: use wing nuts to hold the new speakers on... much easier to take off the second time around...

http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 06:45 PM

Wing nuts! Great idea. I use wing nuts on my hard top bolts to make removal a snap. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Hey Jerry- how far back did you set the speakers using your vaccum hose? If they're too far back you'll lose a lot of sound that won't make it out from behind the dash. Jsut a thought

Sean

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 06:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Back when I was married, the wife had a Suzi sidekick four door. She want to trail ride with it when we went jeeping with friends. Oddly enough, the Suzi had more cargo space, go figure.

Anyway, the front approach on these little rigs is pitiful, so I bought a Calmini tubular steel bumper to replace the plastic one that was so low to the ground you could hear ants gasp as you drove over them.

Replace a front bumper. Simple job, right? Not on this rice burner. First the plastic grill has to come off, 12 screws. Then the headlight frames, 8 screws. Then the boot that covers the front of the bumper, about a million little screws. Then the boot that covers the top of the bumper, you guessed it, many screws. Now, I am down to the bolts that actually hold metal to frame. Drop the factory bumper off, put the new, custom on jack stands and scoot it into place - holes are off by about 1/8 inch(or the metric equivalent, since this is a jap jeep). So out comes the drill and three new carbide tip bits later, we have a new bumper.

Then, of course, all the non-bumper related parts and the billions of tiny screws with them had to go back on. I couldn't convince her that the Suzi looked COOL without a grill or headlight frames.

I didn't have to buy a screw for a year.

The next ex-Mrs. Traveller gets a Jeep, no more Jap knock-offs.

I think Jeep is the last automobile with made with more metal than plastic.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 06:18 PM
Enthusiast

It was only about 1/4", just enough to keep the tweeter off of the grill when I bolted it in.

jerry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode