Rear main oil Sear - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 12:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rear main oil Sear

I am replacing my rear main engine seal. It looks pretty straight forward, but my Haynes manual doesn't get to specific about oil seals. When replacing my rear main do I need to take the oil pan off, and does this use blue RV or something similiar to seal the oil pan when done? If anyone is fimiliar with this I have a 86 Jeep cj-7 I-6.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 02:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Rear main oil Sear

yes you need to drop the oil pan.. and make sure you blue rtv the corners of the oil pan real good.. it will still probably leak.. damn AMC engines..
i did mine like 3 times before it stopped.. make sure you lube the upper part of the seal with some oil first.

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 05:38 PM

I did mine a little while ago and heres some pointers...

When sliding the top half of the seal in place, press down with your finger against the top part of the seal where its goin into the block (compressing the seal a little against the crank). This will prevent the block from shaving a layer off the back part of the seal where it touches the block. Did that make any sense? Took me two tries to figure that out.

Use plenty of RTV (I like that permatex ultra black stuff) on the ends of the oil pan where the two rubber parts of the gasket are.

Don't over torque the pan bolts!! This is very easy to do. Tighten them in a criss-cross pattern.

'79 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 08:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

some other things.. use something soft to punch out the old seal.. brass.. tin or what not.. i have a tin spike.. about 8 inches long.. but a brass punch will work.. as long as its softer than steel.. and afterwards.. if you can let it sit overnight.. give that rtv time to fully dry.. even better..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 09:23 PM

You will probably have to pull at least one of the motor mounts off to drop the oil pan. Jack up the engine by the front (on the pulley) and leave it supported. I used that opportunity to change both mounts as well. Also buy the oil pan gasket set. Use RTV at the corners as described in the earler posts, don't just use RTV to seal the whole thing or you'll be back under it again real soon.

Ken

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 04:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I realized that i needed to move my motor mount. Now my starter motor bolts are stuck, so I sprayed some wd-40 on them and come inside to let them hompefully get unstuck. I guess I will get back at it, thanks for the help.

Never Summer
86 Cj-7

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode