C-clip vs non c-clip - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 09:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

C-clip vs non c-clip

Is there a real advantage to an older dana 35C (1987) vs the c-clip models(1990 and up). I have the opportunity to swap and want to weigh the pro/cons.

I have two 35C axles, one w/ 3.07, EZ Locker and one w/ 4.10 and limited slip. Is it worth trading 4.10 limited slip for an open diff non c-clip. Put my locker in the open diff and then sell my now open diff 3.07 for whatever it brings.

thanks in advance,
David
'90 YJ, Locked Front w/ a slippery rear axle

'90YJ, Gearless Locked Front, Slippery Rear Axle, Ramsey REP 8000, 33x12.5 Mud Kings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 10:13 AM

Re: C-clip vs non c-clip

Its definitely worth it. Anytime you have an axle that will allow the shaft (and wheel, hub) leave the vehicle if it breaks, an dyou have an oppurtunity to correct it, I would do it. First for safety reasons then for the fact that you can limp to civilization if an axle snaps. This is a perfect example of how Jeep took a improved version of an axle and down graded it,(probably to save $1.80 per axle). But dispite the fact that the T case slip yoke is a junk design, have not been able to influence a design change in 14 years, and they never could figure out that their shackles were on backwards(I guess that one is debateable depending on your view). The D35 clippless set up isnt that stout of a semi floating set up, but its definitely better.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 09:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks, I will probably trade for the non c-clip. Just doing the Rubicon end of July and thinking about losing the spare axleshafts. Guess I will sale my spare axle/axleshafts, any takeres for sale or trade. My spare axle, Dana 35c, out of '90 YJ, 3.07, open diff, axleshafts look good, can send pictures.

'90YJ, Gearless Locked Front, Slippery Rear Axle, Ramsey REP 8000, 33x12.5 Mud Kings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 04:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How do you like your gearless locker in front? I was thinking of getting one for my rear axle, d35 non c clip.

John
89YJ-350V8,etc.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 11:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have only had it a week, one mild trip off-road. Totally quiet engagement. Great installation instructions, even has a video. Friend of mine swapped an EZ locker for the Gearless in his Dana 44. He said smoother engagement on the road also. No pulling from left to right! The gearless also didn't have the tire size limitation nor front end compatiblity problems. I will be testing it out more on the 24/25 of this month.

Let me know if you want more info,
David

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 07:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

just my input on the non-c-clip axle...I have been having trouble getting the damn axle to seal. Seems like the new outer seal I got was thinner that the one that came out of there and the retaining plate was letting the axle slip out a fraction of an inch...just enough to allow the preload to come off of the tapered bearing which in turn let the axle flange move up and down a bit. This up and down movement was too much for the seal to cover, and the axle dope leaked out all over my brake shoes, ruining them. I finally ended up putting four tack-welds on the retaining plate to take up that extra space between the seal and the plate..I havn't gotten up the courage to see if it worked yet.

Chris Allmond...89YJ/33"/2-3"lift: engine\tranny\rearend swap in future
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode