Mystery CJ 7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 10:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mystery CJ 7

My 1982 CJ 7 which I purchased a month ago has a T18 4 spd & a Dana 20 transfer case. I thought these were stopped in 1979? Did I get ripped off??? Please advise. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 07:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Mystery CJ 7

no, not ripped off... it is very rare to see an older cj with all of it's original running gear yet.. if the VIN numbers say 82, then praise allah that someone swapped in the t-18.. if the vin numbers say 79..... who cares? it's not like that 3 years is going to make the value of the jeep any less.

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 07:43 AM

Does it have the stock small block Chevy 350? or the Dana 60 axles, Oh wait a minute maybe the axles were high pinion Ford 9". Hmmmm in any case I wouldnt worry about it, If your enjoying it,then for sure you didnt get ripped off. Take pictures of it now because it will probably look way different in a couple of years under your stewardship. I think Im just about down to the sn# tag, steering wheel, and gas cap as original equiptment, no thats not right I just bought a new screw in cap, and Im looking for a tilt steering wheel donor. Just the sn# tag.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 12:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

you didnt get ripped off.. the T-18A was an option only transmission offered up till 1986.. its really rare that you see one do to the fact that the T-5 was standard.. and most folks like that overdrive... my web site has a breakdown of the VIN numbers.. so you can see what was oringinal on it..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 07:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what about the T-176(I think thats right)? I know a couple 80's jeeps with these transmisions and I really hope nobody out there is dumb enough to swap one of those trannies into something.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 09:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

jeepgod, you sure about that t-18 being offered till 86? I'm pretty sure 1979 was the last year in a cj. I know they carried over into the 80's in the 3/4 J trucks as an option but all my reference books show 79 as the last for a t-18 and d20 in a cj. In the 80's the sr-4 was available for 80 and 81, the t-4 82 till 86, t-170 series 80 till 86, and the t-5 82 till 86, plus the 904 and 999 auto. All bolted to the d-300.
Bob

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 09:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hey bob.. ya.. after i posted that.. i got to thinkin.. now i am home.. look in my book.. it says that.. but i dont think its right.. no dana 20 to go with it.. but it says the t-18A was availeable till 86... mmmm.. i would kinda think not myself..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 09:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bob's right, only manuals in the 80s CJs are: T-176 (pretty good trans, best manual in the 80s), SR4 (POS), T4/T5(OK, but not the greatest). No 3 speeds and no truck 4 speeds.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 10:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

jeepgod you dope... trying to confuse everyone...

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 04:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Let's confuse it a little more. The book says the T-18 was offered in the J20's thru 83 but no listing for the D20. It looks like it came with the NP208. Now follow me on this, if the 727 came with the NP208 and thats a direct bolt up to the D300 would it also be possible that if the T-18 came with the NP208 would it also be a bolt up to the D300?
Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode