Just installed GM HEI on AMC V8 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 09:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just installed GM HEI on AMC V8

Well I finally did it,I installed a GM HEI distributor in my 1980 AMC 360 (wich resides in my
1983 cj7)
First off I will say that I realize this upgrade is not for every application,and the 5000+ RPM crowd
would overlook the GM HEI as another "stocker",also this is just my opinion,I am not a "TECH GURU"like some of you folk,I am just an average joe that loves to work on his jeep,and wheel.but in my application ;totally redone '83cj7 with
amc 360/tf727/dana 44's/4.56's/35"s/built and used in "real world"offroading
It is the single most noticable performance change I have done to the engine,it has helped clean up
my idle,it starts better,it has alot better throttle response and all around power,but most important to
me is the fact that its much more reliable.
It has allowed me to remove the old ford coil,module,resistance wire,and the big ugly wiring harness
that goes with it,and thats where the reliability comes into play,any time I can remove a host of
electrical components and related wires and connections and replace them with one integral unit and
"ONE"!!! 12 volt wire,it has to help the "outback factor",not to mention it uses only
stock GM parts that are virtually available at the corner grocer.
I also have to say that I bought my HEI unit complete with ALL NEW components from Glenn
Woodworth at www.driveajeep.com and I have to say I was TOTALLY
SATISFIED with both the HEI UNIT and Glenns customer service,I spoke to him personaly a few
times,and e-mailed back and forth a few times ,he is very interested in every detail of the install.

I just thought I'd share that with my fellow jeepers,(I usually just post questions when I get over my
head,and answer questions related to what I've had experience with),again,this is just my opinion,and what worked for me.

HAPPY JEEP"N

jsjps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 10:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Just installed GM HEI on AMC V8

You just posted this very same post on the PM forum. You wouldn't be advertising for the distributor supplier would you?
Just an observation.
Mizu.
Duraspark/TFI addict!

www.Trailhed.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-149426-tfi55.jpg (16.0 KB, 0 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 10:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I put an HEI on my '67 CJ-5 and was perfectly happy with it, but that was back in 1980. Back then that was the best thing available and was a big improvement over the delco points. The TFI upgrade is a good improvement over the stock ignition, and argubaly better than the HEI. I am currently working on installing a 1995 era 4.3 with central port injection, hopefully that will be better than everything else available at the moment. Will it be the last upgrade I make? I doubt it, there is always someone building a better mousetrap.
good luck, jjc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 12:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

No Mizu,I'm not advertizing for anyone,and I'm not partizan to either forum,I've had excellent help from both forums,and try to contribute to both when I feel I have somthing worth contributing....Like I said in the original post,I dont believe the HEI is the answer for all people in all area's,but it worked well for me and my application.

HAPPY JEEP'N

jsjps
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 12:53 AM

It made a pretty good advertisement...
But I think jep was sincere when he posted his feelings and observations.

I'm glad it worked for him, and I hope it continues to work well for him for years to come!
--------------------------------

I don't want to stifle anyone, or make anyone uncomfortable to post here just because he does something I don't recommend...
That's not what I want to do.
I want to inform all of the differences, and let them make up their own mind...

All ignition systems have draw backs, and good points.
I personally and professionally think that the Motorcraft/ DuraSpark ignition is so much superior to the GM HEI that it's worth the extra wiring...
But MSD kicks the Motorcraft/ DuraSpark in the butt, so there is always something better...

jep is entitled to his opinion also.
He never tried to pass it off as the best thing cense sex, or beer, so I don't have a problem with him.
Good luck jep, and keep us posted on further improvements to the 'ole Jeep...
Aaron.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 08:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Actually, JEP...it was our goal to do that very thing to our CJ7 304, because we wanted to be able to jump a fence and swipe parts off most any GM car to keep our Jeep going when we were on the run from the gun-grabbing, UN/Klintunoid "police" force which may be running things in the near future if Scumbag II gets elected. Reliability and parts availability was FORMOST in our minds. Once we learned about the Ford-Duraspark upgrade, and how easy it was to do with off-the-shelf parts, we went in a different direction. HINT: Never leave home without a spare rotor for that HEI; and never let the plugs and wires get real bad. The GM HEI system does blow through rotors pretty easily if the plugs get too darned old[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 10:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If anyone else is looking to do this mod I have a HEI dist off my 350 for sale for cheap!!
[email protected]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 10:36 AM

HEI off a 350 chevy won't work, but it would be a good source of 'Limp Home' parts...
You would have to have the lower half of the housing turned, and fabricate a stop and attach it to the housing.
Drive gear is another problem.

Most places are just using new CNC machined housings for a fresh start.
Your distributor would probably be more valuable to someone building a Small Block for themselves and haven't acquired an ignition yet.
--------------------------------

It's the Chevy I-6 distributor housing that will fit right in the AMC 258 I-6 that everyone is looking for.
It will work with just a gear change, and no modification to the AMC V-8 gear is required.
---------------------------------

If you took the GM HEI out, what did you use in it's place?
Just curious...

----------------------------------

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 02:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanx Aaron for your post,your correct in saying I'm sincere in my post,it also was refreshing to read that there is a place for either system,and one need not install one system to "spite" the other,quite the opposit is true,all these optional systems (TFI/HEI/STOCK/MSD/JACOBS)all offer us a choice,and we can make the best chioce for our specific needs,based on the best information we have.our goal here is to be an information source for all jeepers,short wheel;base specifically on this forum,and our greater cause is to "Jeep" and "Wheel" in unity,and focus our united energy to the true oppisition,(eco-nazi's,uninformed gov'ts etc) thats not to say we cant "rib " each other out on the trail for running the "lesser" system,but we are still "JEEPER'S"!!!

HAPPY JEEP'N

jsjps
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 03:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had to switch back to a points dist because mine is in a Toyota, the HEI doesnt fit!
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/3184/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode