CJ-7 steering problems, please help!? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 08:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ-7 steering problems, please help!?

The front tires on my jeep are leaning inwards at the top, which is a bad negative camber. I took it in to get the front end aligned, and was told that none of their books showed where they could order an eccentric offset bushing for the upper ball joints or wedge-shaped shims for the spindle mounts. I have searched numerous off-road catalogs, and have yet to find them myself either. The parts that I have mentioned are also the cure that my Jeep "Owner's Bible" suggested. Thanks for any information on this subject! By the way, my Jeep is an 84' CJ-7 with a 4" susp. lift, a 1-1/2" shackle lift, a 1" body lift, and 33" tires.
Mike O.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 09:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CJ-7 steering problems, please help!?

you need to find an expert on 4wd alignment, or if you can't find someone knowledgable get books and start reading. there is something bent or broken on your jeep, the question is how much are you willing to spend till someone finds the problem.
If it was my jeep I would get a service manual and start by disassembling the hubs, brakes, spindle, and axleshaft. If you are going to own a jeep you will need to learn how to replace steering U-joints, and this would be a good time to check them over. while it is apart you can get a real good look at the spindles, they may be bent, or the mount bolts might be loose or stripped. the ball joints can be inspected. Last of all you can get a better look at the axle housing to see if it is bent.
there is plenty of knowledge on this BB, just do a search on the subject, if that dosn't help, just ask.
good luck,jjc

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 09:38 PM

I had a similiar problem several years ago and all I did was to replace the ball joints upper and lower on both sides. After that everything
was just fine. Just an idea.

Do you have any play in the joints?

Alec

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 11:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The upper and lower ball joints were replaced just 7,000 miles ago.
The wheel bearings,u-joints, etc all replaced. All tie rod ends and shafts were just replaced. I'm trying to locate where I can purchase the eccentric bushings for the upper ball joints and/or the wedge for the spindle to correct the camber. Does anyone know where I can purchase these?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode