D60 install in my cj, HELP - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 06:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

D60 install in my cj, HELP

alrighty, i am having many problems. i have a full floater rear d60 out of a 80 j20. i am trying to change the lug pattern on the drums and spindles to the cj 5 on 5 1/2. i know late j20's had that lug pattern before 74 i think. can those drums that stuff be used to change the lug pattern. or do i hafta get a machine shop to do it. moser engineering turned me down saying that they dont do that on full floaters, please help

you can lead people to the truth, but you cant make them understand it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 08:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: D60 install in my cj, HELP

i think you are out of luck.. they did have 5 on 5 and half.. but i dont think the full floaters had that.. and the d60's that had them were semi-floaters.. and those you can not use.. you should ask the guys on the full size board...i just dont know how about those old full floaters..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 09:12 PM

I think your out of luck also. Measure the hub on the full floater-you'll see that it is too big to try and fit the 5 on 5 1/2 wheel pattern on it. The hub is so big that if you were able to switch to five lugs the wheel center opening would have to be machined out so much that half the lug holes would be gone. You would be better off converting your front end to an 8 lug 3/4 ton pattern. If you are putting a Dana 60 in the rear I'm assuming you have at least a Dana 44 up front. If this is so many 3/4 ton trucks came with 44's with the 8 lug pattern up front, so you can swap out from the knuckles outward from a 3/4 ton Dana 44 onto your 44 and match the wheel patern of your 60 rear. good luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 11:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well, i have measure and the idea of 5 on 5 1/2 isnt going to work. i just bought new tires a coupla months ago, 35x12.50x15's. do they make 15" rims in an 8 lug or do i hafta go 16"s? also if i am srewed there, what do i get, 16" or 16.5" i know one of them you cant air down cause theres something to do with the bead> any help? what knuckle will be good 8 lug for onto my 44 that will work with my cj steering?
thanks keith

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 01:04 AM

I recommend that you not buy 16.5" rims if you have to buy new ones. I have never owned a set but what I here is that they don't have the same inner rim style and therefore of this the tires cannot be aired down much. 15" and 16" rims do not suffer from the same ailments.

Chad

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 07:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You could cut the ends off of your full floater as I did and weld new ends on your housing so you could use any bolt pattern you wanted. I used dodge 8 3/4 ends on mine and had moser make my axles with 6 lugs to match my wagoneeer d44 in front. Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 08:05 AM

There is also a company making a rock solid conversion at the hub for the GM Corporate 14 with 8 lug pattern. I guess there has been enough of a demand due to the 8 lugs breaking the drums from leveraging forces, durring race situations(this was news to me I heard it from the manager of a 4 wheel parts store),(the 14 has always been very reliable from my Mud Bogg Racing observations). Anyway this conversion is not just an adapter and is supposed to strengthen the entire assembly when in place??? It certainly looks very solid, and the D60 could easily handle the extra leveraged stress load(track width could be compensated by backspacing wheels), although an extra inch on each side could be an improvement depending on what youve already engineered. But you may have to go to 16" wheels to clear the brake hubs.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 07:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Kieth go with the 16" if you are going to get new wheels. Also what are you running for a front axle? I'm hitting the junk yards tommorrow for the engine and axles. I might try for a Dana 60 front out of a Dodge, my mom's cousin is a expert mechanic and he know of three in PA but he isn't sure what they're going for. Let me know how things go, and keep those 35x12.50x15 in case I find a way to run 15" rims.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 07:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey tim,
i think i am going to change the lug pattern to 6, if that will work for that ff d60. i have a front 44 out of a j10, its also a 6 lug, but its full time 4. i will change the knuckles to something with warn hubs. that way i can keep my baja's. if you need help, i know a guy in wisconsin that can get another ff d60 and maybe a 44 front. i picked up my set, hub to hub, for 350. on a side note, i also picked up a np435. for a 100$ its in great shape. i also have lockers f and r, and have the new r&p on order. good luck building, let me know if you need any help or want that guys email for the axles.
keith
does anybody know if a ff d60 will accept a 6 lug pattern???????

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 06:11 AM

i've bought both 15 x 8" and 15 x 10" wheels with 8-lub bolt patterns.
the problem with a 15" wheel is if it will fit over your drums/rotors/tierods.
i can't put wheel weights on my front inner wheels, they will hit the tie rods when the wheel rotates.
if your rear 60 is a 3/4 ton, 15 x 10 will most likley fit.

3/4tonYJ
&lt;a href="http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton/34tonYJ.html"&gt;<font color=red>My Jeep Page&lt;/a&gt;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode