ignition upgrade bad news - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 06:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

ignition upgrade bad news

don't do it, don't even think about mixing and matching ignitions components. What you need is a reliable upgrade that has years of proven off-road durability. see attached photo.
in jest and sarcasm, jjc

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-149089-Pict0037.JPG (36.8 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 07:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: ignition upgrade bad news

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] What really frosts me is that just when I got real good with Magnetos, farm tractors and equipment quit using them[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Gimme a mag any day![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 11:02 AM

Dave, could you give a quick explanation of a Magneto setup? I've never seen one, the only technology I've seen besides GM's HEI is the breaker points on our 1965 little IH Cub Cadet lawn and garden tractor 1 cylinder engine (which after sitting all winter outside still fires right up)...

Tim

http://www.off-road.com/land/ecojunk.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 11:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

there are a lot of high tech improvements in that pict. no need for a battery, just long arms and a crank handle. No flooding with that updraft carb, excess gas just pours out the drain in the bottom of the carb. Running low on gas? top it off with kerosene, coal oil, distallates, or whatever you have.
thats high tech, jjc

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 03:39 PM

HEY!!!!!!
My dad just dropped of a '39 (I think) Farmall 'H' on my back door step.

I did a super 'M' when I was a kid, bored block, new sleeves, Car pistons, Diesel rods, cam ect, ect.
Cense the cam was more like a car profile, I used a 4 cylinder GM HEI to replace the mag.
(Give me a break, I was like 13 or 14 at the time... I thought tractors were 'Cool'....)

Now he wants me to take one of the first 500 Farmall's ever produced, with near perfect sheet metal, and all the parts there, and convert it to 12 volt alternator, 12 electrical, GM HEI, and fuel inject it...
It's a collectors item, it should be restored. All of the tin is near perfect, even the little front name plate.
The PTO guard is still there and in great shape! I have the original seat and the original magneto!

Anybody want to buy a tractor for restoration?
It's like one of the original muscle cars, I'm not going to cut it up...
I'd rather sell it and buy him something late model to tinker with...

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 06:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Oh Great Pooh Bah-of-Sand.....the little one-cylinder engines often have a "Flywheel" magneto....they make the flywheel do what the mag does on a big engine. They can do this on a one-cylinder because there is no need for a rotor. In the magneto shown, a N-S magnet is placed inside an outer magnet which causes an induced current. The inside magnet is quickly snapped 1/2 turn and the poles go opposite, causing the field to collapse and puke fire(High Voltage). The fire is conducted via a rotor to an end cap which has plug-ins for the spark plug wires, and a rotor. When the guy is cranking the tractor, he would need the inside magnet to quickly snap that 1/2 turn to get a hot spark, and that's hard to do with a crank, so they have an "Impluse Coupling" on the shaft of the mag which dogs itself into the housing and resists rotation till the spring pressure builds to a given point then it SNAPS ahead one half turn producing a very hot spark which helps start the tractor. I was in high skool before we had an electric start tractor, so I'm real familiar with magnetos. We had flywheel-cranked John Deeres and Cats with the hand-cranked gasoline starting engine that you then used to crank the big diesel engine.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Magnetos? Yeah!! LOTS of them!

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 09:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

teamrush, 1939 farmall serial numbers are as follows: "FBH" "FBHV" 501-10652. IH made no attempt to match engine and chassis serial numbers. some very early tractors match, most do not. I am to far away to be interested, but it would sell quick in "Red Power" or "antique power magazine". Let me know if I can help you out.
good luck, jjc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode