help? possible fuel related problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

help? possible fuel related problems

Just bought an '87 YJ with a rebuilt 360 and a rebuilt carb. My problem is this, was out driving for an hour or so this afternoon, no problems, tonight went to goto the store and it stalled, I came to the conclusion there was confusion over how much gas was put in by the seller, and that he infact didn't get the gas gage hooked up properly. Unfortunately i had to call a tow truck to bring me some gas, $25 later i was off, only to have major sputtering, and another stall, although i was able to get it starterd. Now could these sputter problems be because scum and dirt got sucked off the bottom of the gas tank? or could the carb still need some adjustments? or could it be totally something different?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 10:11 PM

Re: help? possible fuel related problems

First I would make sure it was full of gas.

When you got it started after it died, was it hard to start? Did you have to crank on it awhile or did you have to pump the gas quite a bit before it took off? Also when it died did you have it under a load or was it just idling?

One last thing, when you were driving it before it died the first time was there any hesitation or loping at all or was did it suddenly develop this?

Just needing somemore info to figure it out.

87 wrangler - 258
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

After it died the first time, we made our way to the gas station and filled it right up, after being filled it still sputtered 3 seperate time during a 15 minute drive home. After it died the first time it died it wasn't real hard to start, a couple tried, and some pumping on the gas, but started no problem after stalling the second time. The first time we were just sitting at a light, and the second we were just casually making a left at a stop sign. And like i mentioned, not a single problem before this happened, ran fine until we pulled up to the light, then as we inched up, stall. Thats why i assumed the gas tank was bone dry, and possibly sucked up some crud?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 11:01 PM

I'd change the fuel filter and see what that does. It may be getting plugged.
Otherwise I'd keep driving to see if it improves or gets worse. It sounds like you haven't had it that long, it might improve with driving it.

87 wrangler - 258
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 02:59 AM

Mud Dog is correct.
I'd change the fuel filter(s), add some carb cleaner and fuel dryer to the tank, and get some carb cleaner and give all the carb passages I could see with a flashlight a good cleaning.
Put the fuel line in a fuel safe container while you have the fuel filter off, and crank the engine for a few seconds.
That will help flush the crap out of the lines before you put the new fuel filter(s) on.

If it's only got one, (or worst case, none) fuel filter, I'd add another one...
One of those big metal cased ones, bigger the better.
Some carbs had a fuel filter in the fuel inlet, you may check that also.

It sounds a lot like a fuel problem, but it could be just about anything from your description, from failing fuel pump, to crap in the fuel lines, to a tank full of water...

Give it a bottle of carb and fuel injector cleaner in each tank full for the next six tanks or so, and adding some fuel line dryer, like HEET for a couple of tank fulls won't hurt anything either...

Dry it out, clean it up, and see what falls off...
Welcome to Jeepin'!!!

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 08:32 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Read the posts in response to 77cj-7 "Bubbly Fuel" and see if anything in there strikes a chord with what is happening. SO MANY guys remove the third fuel line and in their infinite dumbness think it is the key to enhanced performance, when it is the death knell for reliability[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode