York problems... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 06:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

York problems...

Well, after I got the t-18 in, I started working on the York. It has one big problem, though. It leaks oil like a pig when it is pumping. It's mounted on its side, and the suction line is on the high end. Any idears on how to slow/stop the oil? I have an oil/water separator on my air line, and it fills up in about 1 minute of pumping...The resorvoir on the separator is about the size of a small juice glass. Why is the york leaking??? Dave? OZ? ANYONE!!!

Thought in middle of modifications: "Maybe AMC did it right the first time...Naah."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 07:08 PM

Re: York problems...

How much oil do you have in it?

I dont know what the NORMAL amount of oil from a sideways mounted YORK is. maybe someone else can enlighten us.

if its an internal flaw in the compressor it self, ill swap it out with you.

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 08:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] It could be too full of oil. The oil level can be way less than half way and work just fine. Also....there is a slight possibility that the crankcase vent may be plugged up....slight, but possible. The crankcase vents into the intake cavity, under the head. You can check this by removing the side plug that is now on top, and checking to see if it is grossly under pressure. If it is, you can run a vent line from your top plug to the compressor intake air cleaner. We always used 10W oil, and got a zillion hours on these units on our service trucks and well rigs. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 09:31 PM
Can't Get Enough

I have the same problem. I figure it will eventually get to a decent level and stay there. I put in a coalescing (sp) filter in line and run the drain hose to the intake. I have a petcock at the bottom and open it when the pressure is less than 10 psi. That recycles the oil back into the system. I also have an unloader valve in my switch that allows the compressor to cycle on without a load. That exhaust on the switch does get real messy once and a while, but I soap it off and forget about it until it gets ugly again.If you ever find out the correct amount of oil on the sidemount installation, please let us know...seeya...

CJ-7,401,T-18,Detroits,etc..
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 09:59 PM
Can't Get Enough

I'm not 100% sure, but on the older Fords that had the big cast Rotolock compressor, which were mounted horizontal, they called 1 inch. On some other aftermarket a/c systems that I used to install, which were mounted vertical, (Yorks) the spec was no more that 11/8 inches. This was measured from the crankcase fill hole with a dipstick made from a coat hanger.
They called for 525 viscosity refigeration oil. I don't remember any specs that were out of the ranges from 7/8 inch to 11/4 inches. By the way, 525 viscosity refigeration oil is the same as "vacuum pump" oil, but has been dehydrated. Vacuum pump oil is about 1/4 the price.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 08:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You can get vacuum pump oil at your local "Dairy Supply"....MOO![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 12:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know why but for some reason 4 ounces comes to mind. I think that is the amount of oil the york needs to stay lubed up.

Axlesupagain[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
http://home1.gte.net/lrgreen2/index.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode