A problem (or two) solved... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

A problem (or two) solved...

Reading over some of the posts from the last few weeks, I got the hunch that my intake manifold may be the root of my engine bogging and the slurping sound. Went outside with the tools, took off the air cleaner and other sh|t, checked the bolts, and found one that was so loose I could twist it by hand. All of this while my neighbor's really hot, blonde, 26yr. old wife was talking to me and telling me about her old CJ5.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (really nice w/a chevy 350) That was what was causing most of what I've bitched about for the past few weeks. Now it runs like a champ and has almost all of the power it is supposed to have.
Second thing, when I dropped my driveshaft, I was worried that it was the yoke or something worse. Someone who answered my post was dead on. It is my strap kit. A bolt snapped in half on it and it only costs $3.50 to replace the kit.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
So thanks for the suggestions fellas.
Bryan[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
PS. How much does the entire brake cable cost along with that metal tubing that wraps around it? The driveshaft ate that too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 08:36 AM

Re: A problem (or two) solved...

You may be ADDICTED
if you can find a loose carb. bolt with a hot 26 y/o blond talking at you and only mention her in passing.....LOL
either that or your wife/girlfriend was watching ...LOL

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone if I am gonna paint it ?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 09:53 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Ain't that the truth. How many of us can watch "Dukes of Hazard" and look at Daisy, I always look at the jeep and wonder why she doesn't lift it.

I have a Scout II that the carb bolts would loosen up on, caused numerous engine fires due to the gas puddling up on the manifold. It always ran fine, and we were able to put the fires out easily. Oh well, live and learn.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Oh, I was looking![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That is why it took me about 2hrs to tighten some bolts that should have taken about 2 min.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].
Besides, her husband is huge, and my girlfriend was on her way from Jersey at the time. If she saw me staring the way I was, I'm sure it wouldn't have been too good of a thing.
Anyway, the bolts were part of my problem. As soon as I get up the balls, should be tomorrow, I'll replace the cat. and that should do it. The floorboard was freekin' HOT after a two hour trip this weekend.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Later
Bryan

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 09:35 PM

The cat may be part of your problem if it's getting that hot...will cause major power loss when it breaks down Like running into a really strong head wind.also sometimes the cat will glow red hot when really clogging up.
sometimes you can hear the brick like substance plinking around inside there..
no fun at all...

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone if I am gonna paint it ?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

That has to be the best way to explain it[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. It does feel like I hit a head wind everytime I try to accelerate or stay at one speed.
Here is my understanding of why I get that feeling....
The cat is clogged and is keeping some of that exhaust "jammed" up between it and the engine...
It causes the O2 sensor to get a bad reading, which tells my computer to tell my stepper motor to either lean out or richen the mixture...
Causing the acceleration problem with the carb?
This is my own reasoning here, someone please tell me if I'm wrong or right?
Thanks
Bryan[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 06:34 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Yep, our TJ did the same thing. You won't believe the animal created when you replace the cat. When we replaced the cat (at 48K), we could lift the front tires again and driving was so much more fun (the rear tires didn't like it though). Ours is plugged up again, time for a Flowmaster (unless someone has a better idea?), and a Borla to open it up. The computer controlled engines are great, except sometimes they're really dumb and don't know what they're supposed to do. They'll try like anything to keep it going to the best of its ability.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 03:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How could daisy take dirt road corners at 85mph behind the general if she lifted the golden eagle? Honestly? And how high do you expect the poor girl to hike her leg up to clamber on in? Moreover, Jesse could barely heft his big booty in the golden eagle in stock condition...had she lifted it, he would have been S.O.L.!

Thought in middle of modifications: "Maybe AMC did it right the first time...Naah."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode