Another brake question(s) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 05:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another brake question(s)

I have a Cj5 with drum brakes on the front and this weekend I have to replace the springs, adjuster, Wheel cylinders, hoses, and Brake lines on both sides. Is there anything else I should watch out for while I am in there.

Also what is the best way to get the lines out of the proportioning valve(spelling). I have given them a shot of Rust Eater and I am hoping they come loose when I go to do it. I can't spice the lines because they are the ribbed ones. ANY IDEAS. I don't want to buy a Proportioning valve too.

Thanks

Lunatic
(O|||||||O)
Are you having fun yet????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 07:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Another brake question(s)

My first thought on how you can get the the the brake line nut loose on the proportioning valve with out destroying it, was simply : "good luck".
I hate to say this , but unless your extremely lucky,,,your going to end up chewing into that nut. I've replaced the brake lines on a number of different jeeps including my own. I've never had one come out easy. Get your best set of vice grips to lock on that nut, and a good C clamp to hold the valve to the frame when you start to muscle it out.....there is also an extremely good chance you'll twist the line when you do. So, you may want to have enough new line on hand. You shouldnt hurt the valve, but the nut, most likely isnt going to want to budge. If you have the extra line on hand, its no big deal, if your one of the lucky ones..you can always take the extra line back,,,,,,

Good luck

DrummondCJ
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 08:10 PM
Addict

Re: Another brake question(s)

If you don't already have one, buy a flare nut wrench! I rounded off more brake tube nuts than I can count using an open end before I wised up and got a flare wrench.

Oh yeah, also, be sure to back off the starwheel adjuster before trying to pull the drum.

-Dana

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode