Installing a t-18...now that it's done - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 02:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Installing a t-18...now that it\'s done

I've been away for a few days...installed my t-18. Here's my list of advice for all those who are considering the swap... I claim to have come up with none of these ideas...I probably swiped all of them from someone, somewhere...a lot of them are from you guys. By the way, now would be a good time to thank all of you who gave me advice along the way...you all made a huge difference!!!

Before you start...
Beg, borrow, or buy a tranny jack. Failure to do so will result in a very hard job, broken fingers, and/or a bent clutch...I have the first two, and fortunately not the last one.

Beg, borrow or steal a set of taps and dies...tap/die out everything you use, it makes the assembly job a lot easier.

Let the tranny/t-case drain overnight. Gear oil is very slow to drain out...

Buy new bolts to hold on the bellhousing/tranny/t-case...grade 8. Make sure they're not too long (if they bottom out, they will either be loose or break)

Other neccesary items...torque wrench, locktite (for everything), Silicone to seal tranny case, universal CV boot, 2 hose clamps, stuff to make breather line...

Before you install it, pull the top cover and drill/tap a hole for your breather line.

Cut the head off of 2 6" by ???(was it 3/8??) bolts...screw these into the bellhousing and use them to help you guide the tranny into place. Do the same thing for the t-case.

The t-case shift linkage needs to be modified. The bolt that the shift handle pivots on needs to be ground flush with the arm it rests in on the tranny side of the linkage. THen the pipe that the linkage rides on needs to be turned to the right about 10 degrees (loosen the two bolts that hold the pipe in place, and twist the pipe to the side). When everything is in place, you can twist the pipe back so it's tight against the tranny...don't forget to tighten those bolts on top of the pipe again...

This is kind of out of order, but it's how my thoughts are coming out...
When installing the clutch, make sure it's flywheel side in. I didn't have the alignment tool, but I did alright...take your time and eyeball it several times to make sure it's centered around the pilot bushing.

Don't let the weight of the tranny rest on the clutch/pilot bushing...you'll warp the clutch.

THe little metal ball that the throwout lever rides on has a tendency to fall out without warning when trying to assemble everything. I put a dab of silicone on it and stuck it in place, and it stuck fine then.

My book says to assemble everything and hook up the clutch linkage last. I had to hook up the clutch linkage before I put the tranny in so it would hold the throwout lever in the right position.

Put the tranny in first gear before you remove the shift lever. This way you can turn the output shaft and it'll turn the input shaft so you can get aligned with the clutch.

My tranny was a CJ t-18. It had the exact same input shaft as did my t-150. Same length, same splines, same diameter.

I removed the torque arm setup on my skidplate and put the skidplate in the t-150 position. Made a little bracked to support the tranny properly. Didn't use spacer blocks and didn't cut the skidplate. The motor is about perfectly level with the radiator now. It used to tip back a few degrees. Everything looks OK, though.

When I had the whole thing installed, I took some silicone and put it around the collar that holds the shifter in. Then I turned the collar down tight, and installed the CV boot over it. I clamped it around the base of the collar, and clamped it again around the shift lever. Watertight!

Install the vent lines, using the aforementioned drilled/tapped hole in the tranny.

If you haven't already done so, remove the vent in the t-case by unscrewing it, and install a nipple (it's 1/4" NPT thread). Then both tranny and t-case can be waterproofed and vented.

My t-case shifts better than ever. I guess adjusting the linkage has a tendency to do that. As for the t-18, it completely changed my jeep. 1st gear is now lower than my old crawl ratio. My crawl ratio is more than doubled. She shifts like a big truck, but I enjoy it. If you've got a hi-po engine and it just feels like you're not using all of it, consider your clutch. The new clutch makes the engine hook up a lot better. It must have been slipping a bit and I never even realized it. Speaking of which (I had to try it at least once--but now that I did, I never have to again) the jeep will now spin the 32-11.50's in 1st, 2nd, and will chirp 'em as I shift into third. I had a friendly bout with a camaro on my test drive...to be fair, he didn't know I was gunning for him and he had a slightly delayed reaction, but the jeep ran like a big dog...

I ended up shortening my rear driveshaft and lengthening my front driveshaft myself. I cut both of them, and sleeved another pipe inside, made them the appropriate length, tack welded them, checked my length, and then welded 3 passes around. After my little hooliganism, they show no cracks, wobbles, or vibrations.

That's about it. Oh, one more thing...the t-18 takes 2 9/16"x1" bolts to hold it on. Get them before you try to install it.

Thanks again for all your help,
Deano

p.s. for all the clutch virgins out there, it's not that bad. The hardest part is getting your input shaft aligned properly so you can get it in the bushing. The first time yields a lot of resistance, but once you get the hang of it, and you get the shaft aligned properly, it's a piece of cake.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Thought in middle of modifications: "Maybe AMC did it right the first time...Naah."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 04:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Installing a t-18...now that it\'s done

Congratulations Dean. Having the T18 was the single best upgrade I have made to my CJ and I see that you are extremely pleased with the results of your swap. Sounds like you really covered all the bases for doing it right. You might as well do it right, cause those damn things are just too big to try and horse around more than once. I'm going to look at my T-case linkage to see if mine is fitting correctly. Did you have to make the hole in your floor larger to allow for the t-case shifter moving back a few inches? Maybe not, I'm not sure how much difference the length is from your T150 to the T18. Mine moved back about 3.5" (had a T14) and I had to bend the shifter with the blue wrench some. It would hit the front of the underseat toolbox before it would engage in 4-low.

How does the blind man pick up the "Seeing-eye" dogpoop?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 05:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, I forgot to mention that...I had to enlarge the hole for the t-case shifter...made it about 2" longer, towards the rear of the jeep. I haven't yet figured out how I'm going to cover the longer hole, however. I've got about 2" of hole in front of the shifter when it's in 4wd high...and about .25" behind it when it's in 4wd low. Didn't have to bend the lever though...

Thought in middle of modifications: "Maybe AMC did it right the first time...Naah."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 06:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One more note...
I thought I had 2.73 axle gears...Turns out I have 3.55s!!
Exciting!

With one wheel jacked up in the rear, two complete revolutions of that tire = about 3.5 revolutions of the driveshaft!! So my crawl ratio is 6.32x3.55x2.03= 45.54

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 07:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What T-case do you have?
I cut the hole for the T-case shifter back 2" and tack welded the cut piece into the front of the hole. I also heated and bent both shifters a little then I moved the T-case shifter boot back and drilled new holes. Looks good and didn't cost anything.
Mizu
PS: You are going to love your T18!

www.Trailhed.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 07:50 PM
Addict

Thanks, Dean, for the report. A T-18 is in my future when I can simultaneously find and afford one, I know I can figure anything out, but a list of little details like yours can save a lot of head scratching.

-Dana

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 03:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I figured a little weld and paint job was in my future, Mizu... I was at a friends house and I saw a copy of "4Wheel and sport utility magazine" and they had a big article on swapping a 3spd auto into a CJ5...they pulled a T18 and put in a 3spd auto!!! Ahhhh!!! What is this world coming to???

Dana, let me know when you're ready to buy. The guy that I got mine from does rebuilds and such, he lives in Wisconsin, does great work, and usually finishes about 1 every couple months.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 04:28 PM

Hey Dana,
I know a guy in CT that has a T-18/D20 for sale for around $400.
If your interested I'll send you his e-mail address. I think he has a couple of them actually.

'79 CJ-7
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 07:58 PM
Addict

Chris,

Yes. please, send me the address..... though I'll have to do some thinking on the cash. Just got a "free" swimming pool..... amazin' how much it's costing me [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img].

-Dana

C:\Planets\Earth\ is 99% full. Please delete unnecessary people.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode