Modifying Front Crossmember... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Modifying Front Crossmember...

Now that I know how to flat tow my jeep here goes part two of my situation.

Initial Problem: Crappy small radiator in 70 cj5 with 4.3L v6 no cutting it.

Initial solution: get 72 or later grill and new radiator from mepco and mount it up.

problem #2: Grill fits but interferes with front body mount on front crossmember. That would be fixed but the worse part of it is the cross member won't let the radiator drop down far enough.

proposal #1: Get fenders and hood from 72 or later CJ5 that would move the grill 4 inchs farther forward. Cut front body mount and find another way to mount grill to frame.
- pro: probably easier than next option
- con: cost

Proposal #2: Tow jeep to friend who works in his uncle's welding shop and replace the front crossmember with a custom crossmember that will allow the radiator to drop in all the way.

I guess my question is whether or not it would be alright to change the crossmember???...

Josh Lavalleur
'70 CJ5 4.3L V6
D27 & D44 axles
T-14 3-speed, D18 XC, Warn OD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 06:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Modifying Front Crossmember...

have you considered using the early V6 grill, from what I have been told it is different from the f-134 grill.
just a thought.
good luck jjc

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 06:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know much about the fenders and such, so there may be less destructive options than going with the new crossmember...
That said...
There's no reason why a new crossmember wouldn't work. Measure very carefully so you retain the same frame width and such, and when you're putting in the new member, it'd be a good time to do any frontal frame patching/straightening/gussetting that you need. If you're planning on installing a winch or anything soon...or if you're planning on bumper work, it would also be the time to do it. Do a little planning, and you could have a trick front crossmember with integral reinforcement for your tow points, your front bumper, and for a potential winch mount. Yeeha.

Thought in middle of modifications: "Maybe AMC did it right the first time...Naah."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

My Jeep had a Dauntless V6 in it before the previos owner put the 4.3L in it. So the V^ grill Idea won't work. Also too hard to find an early grill.

Josh Lavalleur
'70 CJ5 4.3L V6
D27 & D44 axles
T-14 3-speed, D18 XC, Warn OD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode