Convert Command-Trac to Selec-Trac? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 01:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Convert Command-Trac to Selec-Trac?

Folks.. I have an 88 Cherokee with the Selec-Trac (the one with 4wd Full time, Part time and low) with an automatic. I just purchased a 99 Cherokee (got an great deal!!) and it has the Selec-Trac and a 5 speed. Would it be possible or worth my time to change the transfer cases and associated hardware and put the Selec-Trac on the 99? Or would be a lot of hassle for not a real lot of benefit.

Thanks!
Morgan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 05:15 PM

Re: Convert Command-Trac to Selec-Trac?

I would think it'll be a bolt in deal, I assume they are both 23 spline NP round pattern cases. Since you even have both sets of driveshafts incase the 242 ( selectrac) is longer than the 99 part time case. since it an auto/manual difference you might also incur driveshaft costs.

BUT, the 88 case is older, and has alot of miles on it, I wouldnt swap without checking it out first, at least seals, most probably bearings and chain, Im unsure if the viscous couplings wear out or cost much to replace, might be a deciding factor.

just the Tcase shift linkage, and possibly the driveshafts. Unless you care enough to wire a bulb socket behind the dash. ther is probably already a light that says "fulltime"

if you drive in alot of intermittent snow/ice the selec trac is great, I used to use it to pull out quick in traffic in teh rain also, damn near impossible to spin a tire at full throttel with that setup..

depends on your uses of the truck really

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 06:55 PM

HEY MORGAN,

Best of Luck with your new Cherokee!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Ozark is right.... don't put an old t'case into the new XJ.

Jim Young
<font color=red>xjy173</font color=red>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 08:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] There is no better all around road driver case than the 242 Select-Trac. It should bolt up seeing as how both the ZJ and the XJ came both ways, 231 and 241, and auto and std.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 10:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks.. I would rebuild it before I installed it anyway. Or rebuild everything on it I can at least. My use? I live in New England.. you do the math I get to drive in all the weather variations.. on and off road. The "full time" is nice in the spring when you are going sideways one second and it's perfectly dry 10 feet later.

thanks!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 10:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks.. I would rebuild it before I installed it anyway. Or rebuild everything on it I can at least. My use? I live in New England.. you do the math I get to drive in all the weather variations.. on and off road. The "full time" is nice in the spring when you are going sideways one second and it's perfectly dry 10 feet later.

The 99 does have a full time/part time light in the dash..

thanks!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 10:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

BUT.. will the older case bolt to the newer tranny? I haven't even looked at them to see and I can't find any repair manuals for the 99! I would assume it's a bolt up swap but I just don't know. Assuming I rebuld it is there anything I should be wary of?

Thanks,
Morgan

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 10:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

BUT.. will the older case bolt to the newer tranny? I haven't even looked at them to see and I can't find any repair manuals for the 99! I would assume it's a bolt up swap but I just don't know. Assuming I rebuld it is there anything I should be wary of?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode