New Onboard Air Setup - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 11:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

New Onboard Air Setup

Ok Guys, I almost have it done. Adding a York air compressor to my 84 CJ was a lot easier than I thought it would be. No custom brackets. On 82 to 86 CJ with the serpintine belt, the bracket is already there. Just take the idler pully and bracket off that is above the altinator and the York bolts right up. In my case, the York suction was on the left side, meaning I could not lay it on its side. However, because I have the larger spark plugs wires, I really did not have enough room...so its standing up...but I still have plenty of room.

The only hard part is finding a serpentine clutch and pully. The job was actually easy....I got it from Kilby Enterprises out of Burbank CA (www.onboardair.com). Check out their web site...lots of good info. Ask for Brad, the guy is a straight talker...and willing to help. He plans to keep them in stock.

I made my air tanks out of schedule 40 pipe. I figure they can handle about 800 PSI or better....and still get bounced off rocks. If you look at the picture you can see that they are staggered just a little. There is lots of room between the transfer case and rear axle...but the stagger is in there to leave more room up front on the inside tank for the air fittings.

Speaking of air fittings...thats the last part...I am hopeing to do that this weekend before I have to fly off to Iuka MS for a few days. So far, Home Depot and Granger have been a great source of parts.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak, York Air
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-148526-OnboardAir.jpg (76.6 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 02:28 PM

Re: New Onboard Air Setup

So you're gonna run two tanks, how much air you figure they'll hold?

John
95.5 YJ with "stuff"
94 GMC Z71 without "stuff"
http://SonsofThunder4x4.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 03:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The tanks are 26"x6" each. At 110 PSI, it should be enough to air up at the end of an outing. I'm hopeing that I can use them to operate air tools for short periods of time. Of course I will have to use them for paiting the house....that was one of the excuses I used with my fiancee....

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak, York Air
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 03:20 PM
I Do This For The Glory

The tanks are 3.18 gallons each and at 110 psi they will hold approximately 7.68 gallons. This is according to my "little black book" of references (and some extrapolation). I love this math stuff.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 03:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So what did you use to cap the ends of the pipe? I bought a tank from a semi and It's too big and I've been tossing around the idea of using a fire extinguisher, but I also have had friends tell me to use Schedule 40 pipe like you did. I have just wondered how to cap the ends off other than using plate steel cut to size. I'm glad you had such good luck with the brackets and such. Did Brad Kilby suggest what belt to use with his pulley? I'm just full of questions. I just completed my York setup (less tank) with v-belt pulleys and now I want to swap in a 4.0 liter for the 258 and of course they use the serpentine belt. Congrats on getting it done and by the way, your steering stabilizer bracket looks good too.

How does the blind man pick up the "Seeing-eye" dogpoop?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 03:47 PM

Hey John, let me know if you want to borrow my at home compressor to paint your house.
I have the paint gun even, I did the same thing at my house and you're welcome to borrow it.

John
95.5 YJ with "stuff"
94 GMC Z71 without "stuff"
http://SonsofThunder4x4.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode