Can you use a 3 prong cord with a 4 prong 220v? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 10:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Can you use a 3 prong cord with a 4 prong 220v?

Well I'm finally move into El Paso. Much better jeepin situation than Maryland. Anyways, we have a 220v outlet in the garage for the dryer accepts 4 prong electical cords. My welder has 3 prongs and looks like it would fit in just fine. What is the 4th prong for? Can I use my welder on this outlet? Also, is it possible to make an extension cord for the welder? If so what are my length limitations? Thanks.

BTW I only needed to use the hi lift once on the move out here. I somehow bent the tire protector on the tow dolly into the tire about 300 miles into the trip. Used the hi lift to spread the tubing back out so the wheel could turn.

Bakes
83 Scrambler
http://www5.ewebcity.com/4x4trails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 11:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Can you use a 3 prong cord with a 4 prong 220v?

The 4 prongs on a dryer outlet are two phases, one neutral, and 1 ground. Your welder plug has only two phases and a ground because a neutral is not required for a welder. If your welder plug fits into the dryer outlet it is still not a good idea to use it that way because the two outside slots are the phases which is o.k. but the center prong of your welder plug would be matching up to the neutral slot of the dryer outlet not the ground (round hole) where it belongs. You should get a plug for the welder to match the dryer outlet and terminate the welder ground to match the dryer outlet ground and ignore the dryer outlet neutral as it's not needed for a welder. Yes, you can use an extension cord for your welder but if it's longer than maybe ten feet you should get at least one size larger wire. i.e. if the welder cord is #6 AWG then the extension cord should be made of #4 AWG remember smaller 3 = bigger wire.

Good luck and don't forget to turn off the juice if you get into the outlet!!

jay2jeeps and a big 'ol Dodge
Join the NRA! It's the most important $35.00 you'll ever spend!
http://www.nrahq.org
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 11:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have done this with my AC welder. It works OK. I was given a 20' piece of industrial electrical cable and I joined the dryer plug to that and attached the other end to my welder. I have fairly long welding cables but if I need to, I can move my welder and reach most things I'm working on.

Randy

The happiest people don't have the best of everything
They just make the best of everything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 11:44 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I also have an extension cord for the Welder, and yes, it plugs into the dryer outlet, no problem. I used some industrial (2 Ga maybe) cable and it works fine, is also about 25' long. Been using it for years, even ran it one year off 100' of 220 Romax cable (to get from the trailer to the shop).

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 11:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have to agree with Jay on using the earth ground. In most cases in a properly wired house, the neutral is tied to earth ground anyway. However, if something goes wrong and you loose that connection....And as we all know, there is a lot of juice there...it may be all amps and little voltage....but Murphy really has a sick sense of humor.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak, York Air
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 08:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Some devices have a "true earth" ground in addition to a neutral. In the case of the dryer, it is actually a wise thing to have a fourth wire because the tumble motor and low heat in a dryer is actually 120V and it is using the third wire in the three-wire plug as a current carrying leg. If you lost that leg in the main panel, you yourself would be the neutral for the 120V[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Trailer houses have a four-wire service, and in many states are considered an "appliance". The welder does not use anything but 240V, so it can be three-wire no problem. You can swap the plug out and just leave the fourth wire open, unless you change the welder to a four-wire cord, which would be a good thing to do. How about this....make your extn cord four wire and just use a three-wire female receptacle on the welder end.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode